Byron Ford maddox Brown

  • nancy mayer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
      -------- Original Message --------
      SubByron
      Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 21:55:18 EDT
      Fro
      To: nmayer@...

      Ford Madox Brown 1821-93
      Oil on canvas

      Lord Byron was a favourite poet of Ford Madox Brown.
      This painting illustrates
      his partly autobiographical poem The Dream,
      about unrequited love and its devastating impact.

      It shows the adolescent Byron and his first love,
      Mary Chaworth, sitting on a hill near their home.
      He likened them to Romeo and Juliet
      as their families did not get on.

      He is looking at her but she has eyes only for the
      approach of her lover, Jack Musters.
      He can be seen riding in the valley.
      He signals with his kerchief
      that he will hide a letter for her in their secret place.

      Byron never forgot Mary
      and spoke of her to his dying day
      as someone who could have redeemed him,
      had things been different.

      A young man and woman sit on a hillside, on right, looking out over
      green fields and trees. The woman looks over her shoulder away from
      young man, who is sitting slightly behind looking up at her and
      tentatively holding her hand. Her attention is focused on a man on
      horseback, riding along a path below towards them. She is dressed in a
      low cut, white blouse with a frilly trim around the neck and cuffs, and
      blue detail, with a full length, red skirt. She holds a hat in her right
      hand. The man is dressed in breeches, with a white shirt finished with
      ruffles, under a black jacket. A black and white dog rests at their
      feet, a broad collar around its neck, looking in same direction as
      woman. In the bottom right corner, a whip lies across the entrance to
      rabbit burrow, a hat lies on the grass above the hole.

      1947.82low

    • nancy mayer
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
        Unfortunately the copy of the painting was removed from the message in
        transit. It is a preRaphelite dreamy oil. I had not seen it before
        nancy
        I do not know how to use tiny url.

        Look here

        > http://www.ashfield-dc.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/leisure-and-culture/tourism-and-travel/local-attractions/annesley-and-ravenshead/;jsessionid=03320BC6931859E85AA80F64F65AA57E