Byron Journal

  • nancy mayer
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2006
      Members of the Byron Society receive the Byron Journal as part of
      their membership. This year the society sent out the journal in two
      parts. The essays are by scholars from all over the world.
      These articles do not appear to have a theme and range from comments on
      Sully's portrait of Byron to Campbell: a note on the Evidence of
      Asterisks. I thought I had seen all the controversy about B yron but had
      never even known that Campbell write a defence of Lady Byron in 1830 in
      which his use of asterisks left all of Byron's sins to their imaginations.
      According to Jane stabler's essay, while the asterisks in the published
      letter allowed all sorts of readings to be read into them, the omitted
      words were more heartless than evidence of sexual sin.
      Lady Byron said that Byron wrote her a very cold and unfeeling letter ,
      telling her to pack and journey 100 miles when six months pregnant.
      Then when she had the child , he came and heartlessly told her he hoped
      her mother died of the complaint which kept her from her daughter.

      [I would use an asterisk but am afraid too :-( .] Did her mother come
      when the child was born? I thought Lady Byron was taking the child to
      see her parents because neither had been able to be with her in her
      confinement.

      They always include book reviews of works pertaining to Byron and fellow
      romantics.

      Lady Caroline Lamb by Paul Douglass. The authoritative book on this
      often marginalized character.

      Byron's Othered Self and Voice: Conceptualizing the Homographic
      Signature by Abigail Keegan.
      Keegan says that having to hide homosexuality influenced how Byron wrote.

      The reviewer says that the fault in the book is the deference paid to
      Foucault and his theory that there is no self.
      Also presents him in terms of "Queer theory."

      I must say that it is hard to see Byron as not having a self.

      Atara Stein has a book on The Byronic Hero in Film Fiction and
      television which I probably could understand even if I had not seen the
      films.

      Brian Cooney, the reviewer is not all together pleased with the depth
      of some comments.

      Emma, by the Duchess of Devonshire
      Mary Wollstonecraft: A Literary Life
      Literature and Medicine in Nineteenth Century Britain: From Mary Shelley
      to George Eliot.
      Lady Anne Blunt: A biography by H.V.F. of B yron's granddaughter
      buried in Arabia. She was married to William Scawen Blunt whom the
      reviewer calls "despotic, satanic poet"

    • nancy mayer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2006

        > he came and heartlessly told her he hoped
        >her mother died of the complaint which kept her from her daughter.

        When a maid substituted a dry handkerchief for the sopping wet one
        Lady Byron had been crying into, Byron supposedly said :Get her a table
        cloth

        It certainly would be nice to have a witness to these things.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2010
          An interesting article about Byron and sexuality by Emily Bernhard Jackson. Of course, I don't believe in the incest .
          Nancy Mayer
          http://www.susannaives.com/nancyregencyresearcher/