DJ XLII -LVIII

  • nancy mayer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13 6:07 PM
      We ended with frozen champagne and praise of Adelina as virtuous.
      The English winter ending in July ( when most of the fashionable left
      town) was over and people were leaving town on droves.
      postilions ( men who rode on the lead horse in a team . This was
      instead of a coachman more and more private carriages were those a man
      could drive himself.
      As the wheels drove the ton out of town, the merchants had long faces
      for they saw their money leaving with them, The rich were notorious for
      not paying bills. the merchants could not have the peers jailed for
      debt, but could send in duns as were sent to Byron's abode. The
      merchants were torn between having the Prince regent as customer and
      being paid for their goods. Though merchants went bankrupt I do not
      know that the rate was higher then than anytime since. Starting a
      business was hazardous to purse.

      Read straight through, these stanzas describe the annual exodus from
      town in realistic detail.
      The rush , the stopping to change horse, with everyone having a hand
      out for a vail.
      THough London's winter is over, in other parts of the country it is
      almost the end of summer,
      There is no shooting ( save grouse) until September.

      The twice two thousand for whom the earth was made were vanish'd to
      be what they call'd alone

      30 servants and as many guests
      quantity of hospitality but little quality of same.
      The departures were announced in the papers for those who spent their
      lives in London.
      tHe Morning post mentions that Lord H A and Lady A were to have guests
      among them a ,man from Russian court.

      The verse goes on to say that during the war the accounts of dinners out
      numbered those of war fatalities.

      The Amundevilles' home was a Norman abbey. Did Byron describe his own
      abbey?