Canto 10 to stanza XXI

  • nancy mayer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2005
      I was out of town.
      canto 10 starts off with a reference to Newton and the apple and moving
      easily to the better known story of Adam and the apple.
      Byron says :
      "For ever since immortal man hath glow'd
      With all kinds of mechanics, and full soon
      Steam-engines will conduct him to the moon."

      Stanza 3 and 4 mention his work in a sailing metaphor.
      Stanza 5 mentions Juan as Catherine's current favourite.
      The Psalmist is quoted on wanting pinions on which to fly away. Age
      follows youth.
      But Juan is still young and comely.

      Digressing the narrator speaks of old friends and enemies.
      "Old flames, new wives, become our bitterest foes--
      Converted foes should scorn to join with those"

      He goes on to say why the lawyer's life is dirty.
      Why Auld lang Syne appeals to him. His being Scotch.
      Don Juan grew a very polished Russian.