Re: [Byron] Byron's letters

  • nancykobs
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      --- In Byron@yahoogroups.com, <ewhitt@b...> wrote:
      > Nancy wrote:
      > My complaint has always been that the editors are filling in the blanks
      > with names they think likely instead of leaving them blank and
      putting
      > the suggestions in a footnote.

      I would like to know more about the letters. I find it frustrating
      that just when I get interested, some initial or omission comes up and
      breaks into the moment.

      > Elizabeth

      I would have more confidence in experts if I had not found so many of
      them wrong on crucial points. Many 'experts" or at least well
      respected historians have accepted the accounts of Capt. Gronow as
      gospel because he was alive at the time the events took place. Few
      took the trouble to check out whether the details were correct or to
      consider that the memoirs were written forty to fifty years later.
      His list of patronesses of Almack's for 1814 lists people who were not
      in England, some who had not been in England, and others who are not
      listed in the newspapers for that year.
      Venetia Murray recently wrote a lively account of the Regency--
      Elegant Madness in USA or High Society in UK-- trouble is she has the
      wrong earl losing a leg and the wrong marquis losing his wife and the
      wrong countess as mistress to the prince of Wales. Though she had
      access to papers most of us would love to see, she never bothered to
      learn the difference between the 4th and the 5th Lord Byron. (for example)
      That is why I do not blindly believe in experts.