Tom Holland's novel, editions?

  • emmh@ntlworld.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004
      Can anyone in possession of the novel please clarify for me the
      editions? I believe there is the original hardback version with the
      Philips portrait on the cover, first published in the UK, then the
      paperback edition(s), with the same cover (not Byron) both in US and UK
      editions. Have I got that right? Also, why do you think the title was
      changed? Was ' The Vampyre, Being the true pilgrimage of George Gordon,
      Sixth Lord Byron', too much of a mouthful for the American market ;-)
      (no offense to my compatriots, just thinking of the Harry Potter books,
      how 'philosopher's stone' got turned into 'wizard' or something like
      that).

      As you can tell, I'm getting round to purchasing it. I imagine this has
      been discussed before, but what are your honest impressions of it? I've
      just finished reading Tom Holland's essay in the volume 'Byromania' (the
      same volume with the essay on Barbara Cartland and L.B.) and I enjoyed
      it - nicely written with very amusing footnotes.

      Many thanks,
      Elizabeth
    • Matthew Heilman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004
        Dear Elizabeth and list,

        >Can anyone in possession of the novel please clarify for me the
        >editions?

        I am not certain of the specifics, but I believe that the version in the UK
        did have a different title, and if I remember correctly, it was just titled
        'The Vampyre' (the rest could have been a subtitle)

        The version I have is entitled 'Lord Of The Dead' and its a trade paperback
        with a castle/tower against a dark red twilight sky backdrop.

        I am sure that all versions are the same text, which in the long run seems
        the most important.

        >As you can tell, I'm getting round to purchasing it. I imagine this has
        >been discussed before, but what are your honest impressions of it?

        I very much enjoyed the book, and thought that Holland did a fantastic (and
        fun) job at bending the myths about Byron to correspond with a vampire
        theme. Its a great story, very gripping and atmospheric, but above all its
        just an enjoyable book. Its nothing deep or profound, its not meant to
        reshape Byron's history, and though it exaggerates some rumours to fit the
        theme, I didn't find it to be disrespectful to Byron. Its a dark fantasy
        story, and more than likely, the 'genius' of the book would be lost on
        people unless they knew a good bit about Byron.

        I hope you enjoy the book.

        -- Matthew

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004
          Hi Matt,

          Thanks for that - I'll take it to the beach :-).

          On Friday, July 2, 2004, at 06:37 pm, Matthew Heilman wrote:

          > Its a great story, very gripping and atmospheric, but above all its
          > just an enjoyable book.  Its nothing deep or profound

        • nancy mayer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2004
            It was not the worse thing I have ever read about Byron, even though I
            am not a fan of vampires. The author at least never tried to fool us
            that he was writing a serious biography or that he ahd done research
            into Byron's life.
            nancy