Re: Intro and some questions

  • elizabethmmh
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
      > I cannot understand why Lady Byron would tell her daughter
      and Medora that Medora was the result of
      > incest. This sounds like something one would want to keep
      very quiet.
      Once medora lost her value as a stick
      > with which to beat Augusta, Annabelle dropped her.

      A.M's behaviour was bizarre to say the least considering that
      Medora supposedly looked like George Leigh and was his
      favorite daughter because of this. However, judging from the
      photo of Medora with the dark ringlets, there does seem to be
      something of L.B. in her. Again, judging from the photo of her
      and Ada, which Normington has on the same page, they
      definitely could be sisters (perhaps not too surprising as they
      shared the same grandfather).

      I was lucky to find a bumper crop of B. bios at my local second-
      hand bookshops: 'Byron's Daughter' on Medora, the bio on
      Augusta, and 'B: Flawed Angel'. I had to stop myself at 'The
      Kindness of Sisters', which I see has been discussed in past
      posts, as I had already overspent. Looks like a great read
      though. Wish me happy reading everyone.
      Elizabeth
    • elizabethmmh
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
        --- In Byron@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Mayer <nmayer@b...>
        wrote:
        > Peers were not expected to take degrees.

        Yes, that's true. University was just a finishing school for
        gentlemen. Nevertheless, no-one would have stopped B. from
        actually doing some work, attending lectures, etc., but he himself
        says he just led a life of dissipation while there (good for him, I
        say).