A newbie with a question-Annabella

  • mimilord101
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6 12:19 PM
      Hi, I am new to this wonderful group. I have a question for anyone
      in the group, is it possible that Lady Byron was destroyed by the
      marriage itself? The letters written before she was married shows
      that Annabella to be an inquisitive and amiable not the embittered,
      vindictive and repressed woman she later became. Crane, Eisler and
      McCarthy have shown Lady Byron to be a much more complicated person
      than previously believed. From Benita Eisler, one gets the impression
      that she was witty as well as intelligent and analytical. Her
      letters to Augusta also show that she was aware of her budding
      sexuality. I ask because I think Byron's treatment of her and his
      flaunting of his incestuous relationship with Augusta probably made
      Annabella even more self-righteous and repressed.
    • mimilord101
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6 2:26 PM
          > Her
          > letters to Augusta also show that she was aware of her budding
          > sexuality. I ask because I think Byron's treatment of her and his
          > flaunting of his incestuous relationship with Augusta probably
          > made
          > Annabella even more self-righteous and repressed.

          Not even Annabella accused Byron of gross cruelty-- daily beatings, humiliation of having a
          mistress set at the head of her table with her forced to act as servant to the woman, forcing her
          to take part in an orgy with either another man or another female. All of these things happened to
          wives of that time. In other words, he might not have been a decent husband , but he did not treat
          her so badly as to completely warp her.
          Annabella was the one who continued to ask Augusta to come stay with them, she wrote to Augusta and
          she continued to visit and write to Augusta even after the separation. This is not the action of a
          person who truly believed that Augusta had committed incest.
          One of Annabelle's friends writing her before the marriage, writes as if Annabelle had mentioned
          to her her plan to reform the poet.
          Even if Annabelle truly believed in the incest allegations in 1816-- she later explained away her
          continuing correspondence with Augusta as her attempts to make Augusta repent and get
          religion---thinking it was her place to make Augusta repent and find religion was the action of a
          self satisfied prig-- to be kind.
          nancy

          PS WElcome to the list. I do not take any of those biographers' words for anything for all display
          their prejudice. They had access to documents others would give their eye-teeth to inspect and
          still refused to investigate allegations as though hearing them for the first time.
        • axa morales
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6 7:47 PM
            --- mimilord101 <mimilord101@...> escribió: >
            Hi, I am new to this wonderful group. I have a
            > question for anyone
            > in the group, is it possible that Lady Byron was
            > destroyed by the
            > marriage itself? The letters written before she was
            > married shows
            > that Annabella to be an inquisitive and amiable not
            > the embittered,
            > vindictive and repressed woman she later became.
            > Crane, Eisler and
            > McCarthy have shown Lady Byron to be a much more
            > complicated person
            > than previously believed. From Benita Eisler, one
            > gets the impression
            > that she was witty as well as intelligent and
            > analytical. Her
            > letters to Augusta also show that she was aware of
            > her budding
            > sexuality. I ask because I think Byron's treatment
            > of her and his
            > flaunting of his incestuous relationship with
            > Augusta probably made
            > Annabella even more self-righteous and repressed.

            Welcome to the Group

            Annabella was very spoiled and cynical in her
            behaviour, besides of being very rigid in her
            opinions about people even before marriage, if you
            are analytical, you can see trough people, identifity
            other failures as well as your own and try to change
            your behaviour for better , of course if your are
            aware of it and really want to change it. I think
            Anabella was intelligent but she decided to use her
            intelligence only to see what she want it to see I
            mean everybody else's failures, I agree she had some
            knowledge concerning arithmetics but I dont consider
            her very brilliant (Ok, I guess she was the one who
            influenced Ada for her later studies)

            Witty ? I dont think so ... sorry to say that ... but
            Annabella was not clever enough, has no knowledge of
            the world. not the intencion to use her imagination
            for other things, besides arithmetics, and an
            astonishing ability to create jelaous fantasies in
            her head, ... Ok, Byron was not a model of virtue...
            but he was inteligent enough to really know what sort
            of person Annabella was, behind her manners,
            unfortunatelly he knew too late... when he was already
            married .

            Best Regards

            Axa