RE: [Byron] fortune teller

  • marelwin@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      Dearest Nancy,

      Thomas Moore wrote that a fortune teller told Mrs Byron when B was still a child that he would know a great love and die from poison at a
      young age. Moore comments it is common place knowledge that
      Byron experienced such a one great love (what a non-chalant commentary on incest - not!) so the fortune teller was proven at least partly true. Gamba's memoir of Byron says B was convinced he would die at his 37th year by poison this is why he was inspired to write "on this day I complete my 36th year". The causes of his death have yet to be diagnosed in a medically sound way.

      Message: 3
        Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:48:00 -0400
        From: Nancy Mayer <nmayer@...>
      Subject: Re: byron's life and times

      Has anyone ever come across a story that Mrs. Byron  consulted a
      fortune teller one year and was told that her son would have a very
      bad 37th year?

      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2003
        I think Thomas Moore was talking about Teresa G as his great love. I
        need a modern printing of Moore's life.

        Thomas Moore was mentioned in something I was reading the other day.
        The story was that his wife suffered small pox or another
        disfiguring disease when Tom was not home and when he returned she
        refused to let him see her because she thought she was ugly with pox
        marks. He wrote Enduring Young Charms for her then when she thought
        she had lost them. The point was that he was not looking at her
        exterior and that external beauty was more fleeting than internal.