criticsm

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 7:21 PM
      I went to the library and made photocopies of the first twenty pages
      of the Santucho book. I was scrambling around in my purse for another
      dime . I shall have to return when it is not an early closing day to
      take a closer look at the book which is a reference book so cannot be
      circulated. I read through the first twenty pages on my way home. I
      was glad to see what I thought collaboration of my own bent in the
      section on the opinion of people about Byron during his life time.
      The second section deals quickly with the years after his death. The
      editor is not shy about giving his opinions about some of the early
      biographers.
      I was interested in Santucho's brief recap of Byron's rise to the
      pinnacle of fame and his rapid descent to equal praise and opprobrium
      . Ironic that it was what experts now call the greatest poetical
      satire in English which roused such ire
      He summarizes that -- I hope I have this correctly and am not reading
      more into his text than is there--while Byron was wildly popular his
      oriental tales hit a few sore spots and some feared he had put out too
      much too quickly and over saturated the market. IT was the morals of
      his characters and the "religion" of his characters-- or lack of it
      which people discussed instead of the poems.
      Santucho calls Leigh Hunt's book about Byron full of bitterness and
      even hatred; Trelawney has to star in all the scenes.
      An interesting book. I look forward to reading more of it next time.

      Santucho, Oscar: George Gordon, Lord Byron. A Comprehensive
      Bibliography. Scarecrow Press, 1977

      PS Why is it that all the bibliographies land some library catalogues
      list him as George Gordon? Many people believe his surname was Gordon.