bio

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
      In MDCCCXXV a Mr. Clinton wrote a biography Memoirs of the Life and Writings of Lord Byron, by
      George Clinton, ESQ. Any one ever heard of him.
      The book is illustrated by Cruiskshank, who I though only did cartoons and satires.
      The dedication page of the book has the Byron coat of arms and motto and says: to Anne Isabella
      The Dowager Lady Byron this volume an earnest effort to perpetuate and to extend the fame of a Poet
      and a Nobleman lately one of the Brightest ornaments of England and of English Literature is
      inscribed with most sincere feelings of respect for her virtues and Sympathy for the irreparable
      loss she has sustained.
      This is as much an annotation as it is biography
      The picture of Cain first meeting Lucifer shows Cain is a loin cloth of fur . Lucifer is at least a
      foot taller and proportionately bigger with five foot long wings at least.He is pictured as being
      made along the lines of Adonis

      There are many illustrations in this book. Though the back and covers are falling apart and the
      pages are browning, the book is in pretty good condition internally.
      Is there a current edition of the book or illustrations available? I want to read this but it is
      fairly fragile.
      The poem on the title page-- or verse, I should say--
      When to their airy hall my father's voice
      shall call my spirit, joyful in their choice;
      When, poised upon the gale, my form shall ride,
      Or, dark in mist, descend the mountain's side;
      Oh! may my shade behold no sculptured urns
      To mark the spot where earth to earth returns;
      No lengthened scroll, no praise-encumbered stone;
      My epitaph shall be-- my name alone;
      If that with honour fail to crown my clay ,
      Oh! may no other fame my deeds repay;
      That, only that, shall single out the spot;
      By that remembered , or with that forgot.

      "My Name alone"--- Crede Byron.
      nancy
    • Anne Ridsdale Mott
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
        At 08:31 PM 10/1/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >In MDCCCXXV a Mr. Clinton wrote a biography Memoirs of the Life and
        >Writings of Lord Byron, by
        >George Clinton, ESQ

        Where did you get this, Nancy?
        It sounds like one of the many "knock off" books written in the mid 19th
        century to cash in. Her Ladyship's loss ! Hah! Shows what George Clinton knew.

        Doris Langley Moore writes about quite a few such books in The Late Lord Byron

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
          1825 was not quite mid century but it was undoubtedly written to cash in on Byron's popularity. the
          illustrations are cruishkank prints as I said.
          I bought the book on ebay.