Sardanapalus act v

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2001
      The break of day is glorious and makes the human activity hideous.
      Myrrha's speech
      "The day at last has broken " reminds me of another's words but I cannot
      remember whose.
      The sun rise is even more impressive because it may be their last and
      it even makes her see why they worship the sun.
      A philosophical/ religious discussion on the nature of the sun. Is it a
      god or the habitation of gods?
      Salemenes is wounded . Myrrha says she can not extract the javelin
      without the loss of his life. He does not spend time bemoaning his fate
      but deals with appointing a successor to himself. Unfortunately the man
      he would appoint is dead.
      It is revealed that sardanapalus over ruled Salemeneses who wanted to
      wait for re enforcement's. A rush to battle by Sardanapalus may have
      worked the defeat he was trying to avoid. Salemenses draws out the
      weapon and dies saying "I'd rather see you thus!"
      Water has breached part of the defences and the king calls for the
      barks after all are freed in the palace and told to escape to safety.
      The king refuses to go.
      A herald comes and tells him that those he had pardoned have usurped
      power.
      The king is offered a golden cage if his three princes are given up as
      hostages.
      Sardanapalus requests an hour in which to decide, is generous to the
      herald, and says he will meet with Beleses in a year's time in Babylon.
      It soon becomes clear that the meeting place will be in an after life.
      It becomes apparent that Sardanapalus has requested a pyre built around
      the throne. Myrrha says that she will light the fire.
      Sardanapalus says: Adieu, Assyria! I loved thee well, my own, my
      father's land, And better as my country than as my kingdom. I sated
      thee with peace and joys; and this is my reward; and now I owe thee
      nothing-- not even a grave."

      She lights the pyre and the curtain falls.

      Nancy
    • MelwinKoala@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2001
        Does anyone know if Sardanapalus was done in Byron's day? At all? Recently?

        Leslie