Canto Ix heresy 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2000
      The ninth canto begins with verses addressed to Villainton or
      wellington for the French could not even do so much as pronounce and
      spell his name- but punned it down to Villainton..
      Glory like yours should any gainsay
      Humanity would rise and thunder 'Nay" ---- or should that be Ney?

      Wellington, the narrator says, repaired legitimacy's crutch and
      I shall be delighted to learn who,
      Save you and yours, gain'd by Waterloo?

      This is a most heretical position to take. If The poet had not been in
      voluntary exile already he might well have been run out of the country
      for that sentiment.
      Even I, a twentieth century american find it a bit surprising to see
      such an opinion of Waterloo. it is contrary to the way we have been
      taught to look at the battle. Could he mean that it would have been
      better if Napoleon had won?