more Biblical stanzas

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2000
      The references to Biblical stories in stanzas Lix-LX are obvious for an
      unbeliever to see. The story of the Tower of Babel can be found in
      Children's story and colouring books that have no connection to the
      Bible.
      We still speak of a babel of tongues .
      In Byron's day, a sportsman might be called a Nimrod.
      Blake drew a picture of Nebuchadonosor grazing. Daniel in the Lion's den
      is another story which is known by some who do not know the source.
      The story of Thisbe and Pyramus is not as well known but I remember
      reading it in elementary school.

      The notes in the Cambridge one volume say that Claudius Rich, esq,( line
      493) was the author _Memoirs on the Ruins of Babylon_ 1815; Second
      Memoir 1818.