vision of judgement Southey's version

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 1999
      In Jan of 1820 thebold, mad, blind king Geo III died and Geo IV, who is
      better known as the prince Regent, was finally able to rule in his own
      name. As Poet laureate Robert Southey was required to write soemthing
      for the occasion. He had written a poem for the wedding of princess
      Charlotte and one for her funeral as well.
      My version of the poem is in a book which was printed in 1856. The poem
      is preceded by an essay written in 1822 by a S. Tillbrook, B.D. on
      "Historical and Critical remarks upon the Modern hexameters and Upon Mr.
      Southey's Vision of Judgement." this takes up two and a half 8x 11 pages
      and is followed by Southey's original preface. In this preface though
      the discussion does mention hexameters, there is a digression into a
      section on polluted literature. Speaking of intolerance in the public
      against innovations:
      would that it were directed against those monstrous combinations of
      horrors and mockery, lewdness and impiety, with which English poetry
      has, in our days, first been poluted.....
      After saying that a death bed repentance would not fix all the evils to
      which a lascivious book has led people, Southey goes on to say...
      Men of diseased hearts and depraved imaginations, who forming, a
      system of opinions to suit their own unhappy course of conduct, have
      rebelled against the holiest ordinances of human society, and hating
      that revealed religion which, with all their efforts and bravadoes, they
      are unable entirely to disbelieve, labor to make others as miserable as
      themselves....
      ... this evil is political as well as moral.....

      I wonder if Southey had Byron in mind?