6751Fwd: BYRON--DEATH OF ANNE BARTON

    Nov 16, 2013

      Peter Cochran just notified me about the death of Anne Barton—below is his short notice.  A fuller obit from the LATimes may be found at the url below Peter’s notice.

      Charles E. Robinson
      U of Delaware
      robinson@...

      OBITUARY: Anne Barton

      We are sorry to announce that Professor Anne Barton, of Trinity College Cambridge, died on November 11th.

      Internationally famous as a scholar of Shakespeare, Jonson, and renaissance drama, Anne was also a great admirer of Byron, and in addition to several papers and articles on the poet, published the excellent lecture Byron and the Mythology of Fact (Nottingham 1968; rpt. in Alice Levine, sel. and ed., Byron’s Poetry and Prose, Norton 2009) and the immensely useful students’ introduction Byron: Don Juan (Cambridge: CUP 1992). She was the natural choice to write the essay Byron and Shakespeare in Drummond Bone’s Cambridge Companion to Byron (C.U.P. 2004).

      Anne was also well-known as a lover of cookery and cats. - P.C.

      OBITUARY AT

      http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-anne-barton-20131115,0,5771720.story#axzz2kn8mLvQu