Why This First Sentence Works

  • Marilynn Byerly
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2013
      “The Friday before winter break, my mom packed me an overnight bag and a few deadly weapons and took me to a new boarding school.”  THE TITAN’S CURSE, Rick Riordan.

      The first line of THE TITAN’S CURSE stopped me in my reading tracks.

      I studied it to figure out why such a simple declarative sentence grabbed me.

      A few words told a huge amount about the narrator.  “My mom.”   “Winter break.”   “A new boarding school.”  Obviously a modern kid below the age of driving.

      Then the juxtaposition of the common-- a boy having his bag packed by his mom to go to a new boarding school, and the uncommon--a few deadly weapons.  The mundane juxtaposed with the dangerous.

      Since this was a young adult fantasy adventure, I knew I wasn’t reading about a mass murderer family on the way to massacre some kids.  Some adventure was beginning.

      In just one sentence I was given enough information to get a sense of the book and the main character, and a surprise within that information.

      I’m also given several questions I want answered.  Why the weapons?  Why the new boarding school?  Why is his mom not upset with deadly weapons?

      All this will keep me reading.

      Now, that’s a good first sentence.