404Message from colleagues in Japan. This morning at 07:29

  • eric britton
    Mar 16, 2011
      From: Gabi @ Buy Nothing Day Japan [mailto:bndjapan@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, 16 March, 2011 07:29
      To: eric.britton@...

      Hi Buy Nothing Day friends,

      Greetings and wishes for your safety to all in the affected areas in East
      Honshu and Hokkaido. In Kansai we have so far been largely spared effects of
      the tsunami and earthquake, but we are nervously following developments at
      the nuclear facilities in Fukushima, 500+km away.

      In the meantime, it's now snowing in the worst affected areas in Eastern
      Japan, and people are short of the necessities, especially basic foodstuffs.
      Hoarding elsewhere in the country makes it hard to get the needed stuff to
      those in need.

      If you have been wondering how to help, this is in my humble opinion the
      best way to do it: A group who participates in BND every year of our network
      here in Western Japan is aiming to deliver rice and other basics to the
      worst affected areas. Kozmoz Japan is a small NPO based in Kyoto with
      practically zero overhead. Their mission is feeding the homeless (usually
      locally), and now most people in the affected areas are just that.

      If you are in Kansai and have transportation, it is best to gather rice from
      yourself ASAP and your friends and bring it to Kozmoz yourself (in Southern
      Kyoto/Momoyama area). If you are further afield, please donate money (via
      money transfer/furikomi or credit card).

      Check for details: Kozmoz Japan website
      http://kozmoz.jp

      With hope, and as Kalle Lasn of Adbusters magazine would say 'for the wild'
      too,

      Gabi Hadl
      Buy Nothing Day Japan Network
      bndjapan@...