UN Speaks Out On US Human Rights Violations

  • John Stroebel
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2007
      The UN is taking a stand against our illegal detainment of 'terrorists'. If
      the US Congress won't touch the issue, at least the UN WILL.

      BEAR IN MIND, this is something WE DID OURSELVES in regards to Soviet,
      Chinese and North Korea in the past.

      Only NOW it is US.

      *U.S. Blasted for Treatment of Detainees*
      By EDITH M. LEDERER, Associated Press Writer
      29 minutes ago

      UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. human rights chief expressed concern Wednesday at
      recent U.S. legislative and judicial actions that she said leave hundreds of
      detainees without any way to challenge their indefinite imprisonment.

      Louise Arbour referred to the Military Commissions Act approved by Congress
      last year and last month's federal appeals court ruling that Guantanamo Bay
      detainees cannot use the U.S. court system to challenge their detention. The
      case is likely to go to the Supreme Court.

      Arbour was critical of the ruling, calling on the judicial system to "rise
      to its long-standing reputation as a guardian of fundamental human rights
      and civil liberties and provide the protection to all that are under the
      authority, control, and therefore in my view jurisdiction of the United
      States."

      Twice before, the Supreme Court issued ruling giving Guantanamo detainees
      full access to courts. But last June, the justices suggested
      President Bush could ask Congress for more anti-terrorism authority,
      prompting passage of the commissions act that in part stripped federal court
      review.

      The act grants suspects at Guantanamo Bay the right to confront the evidence
      against them and have a lawyer present at specially created "military
      commissions." But it does not require that any of them be granted legal
      counsel and specifically bars detainees from filing habeas corpus petitions
      challenging their detentions in federal courts.

      "I am very concerned that we continue to see detention without trial and
      with, in my opinion, insufficient judicial supervision," Arbour told a news
      conference after meeting with Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

      "I thought there had been progress in that direction. There's been a
      legislative setback now recently in my view, a judicial decision," she said.
      These people have "no credible mechanism to ascertain the validity of these
      ... suspicious or allegations."

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070301/ap_on_re_us/un_human_rights

      CONGRESSIONAL WATCH SITE:
      http://www.govtrack.us/