Chomsky - 'manufactured consent

  • mike2000z@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001

      a friend writes:

      <<
      [Noam] Chomsky believes that America's freedom of speech guarantees taught the corporations and media moguls that they must somehow figure out a way to control people's minds so that they would think they were thinking and speaking freely even when they were being manipulated; they knew they couldnt just pre-empt the First Amendment, they had to get around it in some way.

      This is what Chomsky means by 'manufactured consent'.  I agree with him completely, and I think the powers that meant to control us have been, sadly, largely successful.  Despite the Constitution, Americans actually often are less likely than others to express original or dissenting views.  We must now speak out with more courage than ever before.

        Welcome          More on Chomsky...............

      http://mitpress2.mit.edu/e-books/chomsky/welcome.html

      "Who cares what you think?"
      pResident George W. Bush, July 4, 2001

      At Least 50% of Americans know Bush did not win the election "fair and square."