New Groups Name: Burnt-Oranges-Events

  • pwrstrm
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2009
      Thanks everyone for your input. I was trying to keep the name as short as possible, but it seems all the vocal people want it to be as long as possible. So the new group name will be Burnt-Oranges-Events.

      We already have the Fl-Chat group for chatty banter, so I'd like to keep this list more on topic to subjects relating to the events and event planning. This way people looking for information regarding theme camps, grants, etc. won't have to wade through 15 posts regarding Ivan's toe jam before they find the info they need. I will be updating the group description as well as the listing on the event websites to indicate this.

      Storm
    • Samaya~
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2009
        Storm,
        Does this mean the FloridaAfterBurn Yahoo List will become inactive, (I hope)??

        Thanks,
        Samaya~ Port Richey.

        --- In Burnt-Oranges-Events@yahoogroups.com, "pwrstrm" <burnorlando@...> wrote:

        > Thanks everyone for your input. I was trying to keep the name as short as possible, but it seems all the vocal people want it to be as long as possible. So the new group name will be Burnt-Oranges-Events.
      • bill keiser
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2009
          hopefully, but that will have to be arranged with mayhem, sassy and
          cedar, the mods of that list.
          i recommend switching the list to full moderation so any attempts to
          post there will have a reply sending them here.
          the archives can be left intact for future reference.
          billy sharpstick

          Samaya~ wrote:
          > Storm,
          > Does this mean the FloridaAfterBurn Yahoo List will become inactive, (I hope)??
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Samaya~ Port Richey.

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2009
            I vote for the outside people and think Billy's idea Rocks!
            Rick James

            ________________________________

            Samaya~ wrote:
            > Storm,
            > Does this mean the FloridaAfterBurn Yahoo List will become inactive, (I hope)??
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Samaya~ Port Richey.

          • Justin Majors
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
              I thought you could actually merge yahoo groups. Could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure i've seen it done before.

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Samaya~ wrote:
              > Storm,
              > Does this mean the FloridaAfterBurn Yahoo List will become inactive, (I hope)??
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Samaya~ Port Richey.

            • Bill Keiser
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
                pretty sure that's not possible, but i'd love to hear how if you know.
                bs

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
                  Ditto that. Too many lists makes it hard to follow and also for 'newbies' to know where to find information.

                  Hope it happens.
                  Sam~ out!

                  --- In Burnt-Oranges-Events@yahoogroups.com, Richard <yogibear36863@...> wrote:

                  > I vote for the outside people and think Billy's idea Rocks!
                  > Rick James
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Richard
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
                    Even better Justin
                    rick james (alabama)

                    ________________________________

                    Samaya~ wrote:
                    > Storm,
                    > Does this mean the FloridaAfterBurn Yahoo List will become inactive, (I hope)??
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Samaya~ Port Richey.

                  • mmmdandelions
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
                      I sent this earlier, but it was returned to me because I don't what email address i used for this list, actually, I didn't know I was on this list until I checked a folder that I rarely look at and found billions of emails from this group in it. So< I guess I missed the event? Ha! NO, I'm exaggerating just a bit. So, here's what I sent earlier. Storm I don't know if you need this info, but i hope it helps. Yay! and now I see what email address I'm signed up under, i need to go fix that, that was a mistake.

                      Donna continue reading for info on merging groups and options and things like that

                      *****Merging Yahoo Groups: I don't think so, I think you would have to do it
                      manually, just take all the members from the old group and move them to the
                      one with the new name. I don't know if you can just add them or have to
                      invite them, but inviting them is a good way to purge the list, get rid of
                      the people that don't want to be on it.

                      First send a special notice from the moderator saying there's only going to
                      be this new-named group and everyone's going to receive an invite to join
                      it, if you are already on it, just ignore the invite, if you aren't on it
                      yet, you must join it if you want to go to either event because from now on,
                      no new information will be posted to this list.

                      People that don't want to know about these 2 events can not accept the
                      invite. Then do what Billy said, keep it, but set it so no one can post to
                      it except the moderators. I think that's an option for an announcement type
                      list.

                      Also, I think you should let everyone know, maybe with a special notice, "no
                      off-topic chat" because I think some people are used to it and it's better
                      to try to deal with it now, than individually later.

                      You probably have your plans, Storm, I just thought I'd throw this out
                      there, in case you didn't think of something here and it will work for you.

                      Donna

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
                        Yea, i just followed up.

                        You can export the user names and 'download' the email addresses from one group and bring them into the other group. I created a test group and I can see how you can export, but i didn't see an easy way to import except for reinviting. I could be missing something.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
                          What does it export it to? can't you just select all, copy and paste?
                          I remembered looking into it a long time ago, I should've mentioned that, so
                          you'd know that I knew we couldn't in the past but they may have added
                          that feature over the past 6 years.

                          Donna

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
                            When you choose "export" it brings up a comma delimited list of members in your browser of their information. (which can be copied and pasted to a txt file)

                            When you choose "download" it brings up a list of email addresses of your members.