Fire safety volunteer info

  • James F'jord Lynn
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
      I've spoken with Tama and I have the 411 on the fire safety volunteer
      positions. As of right now what we are looking for is people who will
      - hold a circle around the effigy burns
      - put out fire spinning tools during the conclave using towels

      In both cases, you do not need any experience, so don't worry if you
      haven't done this before.

      Holding the circle is setting up the safety perimeter around the effigy
      burns on each night. The fire lead will let you know where the line is
      and you basically tell people to stay behind it. At first it is an
      exercise in herding people, but eventually people sit down along the
      line and it become clear where people should or shouldn't be. When the
      fire is lit, you are to keep an eye out for anyone who is crossing the
      line and should be prepared to stop anyone who does come towards the fire.
      I've done this a few times, and I suggest wearing a long coat or
      something that insulates you against the fire behind you. It seems
      counter-intuitive, but the more insulation you have behind you, the less
      heat you'll feel. That being said, if you begin to feel hot, then you
      should calmly move the crowd back until you feel comfortable. If you are
      hot, they are hot, and continuing to stay close can be a danger to all
      of you. This position is mostly a crowd control position so be prepared
      for that.

      Putting out fire tools is pretty simple. You'll hold a towel and the
      fire spinners who have flame left on their wicks will place the wick in
      your towel, and you close the towel on it for a few senconds to put the
      flame out. Towels will be provided.

      I've modified the sign up sheet so that the only slots are during the
      effigy burns. You should be sober during the shift as inebriation may
      affect your judgement or your ability to control the crowd. If you are
      interested, please sign up at
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pP6fLIMiytEJGIbTYDRSnMA&hl=en

      Sorry for getting this out later than planned. All I can say is I'm
      behind on everything :P
    • Michele Hardeman
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
        In my experience rangers held the circle, not "fire safety" peoples, I signed up to do that, as I've done it before (as a ranger). I'm sure we can get more recruits, as the majority of people don't seem to be on this list. I've also been a volunteer wrangler, so I can round them up if need be. :P

        To: floridapreheat@yahoogroups.com; fla-burningman-chat@yahoogroups.com
        From: fjordlynnml@...
        Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 00:05:14 -0400
        Subject: [floridapreheat] Fire safety volunteer info

[...]

        MARKETPLACE

        From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods

        Recent Activity

        1
        New Members

        1
        New LinksVisit Your Group

        Yahoo! Groups
        w/ John McEnroe

        Join the All-Bran

        Day 10 Club.

        Yahoo! Groups
        Weight Management Challenge
        Join others who
        are losing pounds.

        Y! Groups blog
        The place to go

        to stay informed

        on Groups news!

        .

        __,_._,

      • Suzanne
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
          Fire conclave safety and Rangers are not the same. Some of us do both but we don't wear 2 hats at the same time. When you are on fire safety for a burn or fire safety for the fire spinners that needs to be your primary function and only function right then. Rangers have their own function foremost in their mind. During an effigy burn it is all hands on deck but everyone has their dedicated function for that period of time.

          --- In floridapreheat@yahoogroups.com, Michele Hardeman <sclibertine@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > your towel, and you close the towel on it for a few senconds to put the
          > flame out. Towels will be provided.
          >
          > I've modified the sign up sheet so that the only slots are during the
          > effigy burns. You should be sober during the shift as inebriation may
          > affect your judgement or your ability to control the crowd. If you are
          > interested, please sign up at
          > http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pP6fLIMiytEJGIbTYDRSnMA&hl=en
          >
          > Sorry for getting this out later than planned. All I can say is I'm
          > behind on everything :P
          >

          > Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
          > Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar
          >
          > MARKETPLACE
          >

          > From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods

          > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional

        • James F'jord Lynn
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2009
            There's a few reasons why I don't want the ranger role mixed in with
            this. Yes the rangers will be present and may be inside the circle to
            help define it. However, rangers need to have the ability to go into the
            crowd if needed there. People holding the line shouldn't enter the crowd
            (this is part of why I say if you're hot you should move the crowd
            back). Also, I require all rangers to attend the training session with
            me, and the focus is on conflict resolution as well as items like using
            the radio and such. This training isn't really relevant to defining the
            fire perimeter, so I don't think it makes sense to require them to have
            all of that training. Of course anyone is welcome to attend, but if you
            have other priorities but want to help on burn night, it makes sense to
            me that you do not get ranger training.

            There are different forms of fire safety people in Tama's group. There
            will be someone in a fire suit and someone to tender the fire as well,
            but all of it is part of that group.

            Michele Hardeman wrote:

            > In my experience rangers held the circle, not "fire safety" peoples, I
            > signed up to do that, as I've done it before (as a ranger). I'm sure
            > we can get more recruits, as the majority of people don't seem to be
            > on this list. I've also been a volunteer wrangler, so I can round them
            > up if need be. :P

          • Michele Hardeman
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 15, 2009
              I know they're not the same.

              I was referring specifically to holding the conclave perimeter (ie, the crowd outta the way), I've done that before as a Ranger (hence, "In my experience"), and would do it again if need be, if fire training of some sort is not required, as I was under the impression it was, as I put forth earlier when Fjord initially sent out a call for fire safety people.

              To: floridapreheat@yahoogroups.com
              From: sassyone_nc@...
              Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 03:22:08 +0000
              Subject: [floridapreheat] Re: Fire safety volunteer info