The Truth Behind the Burnt Oranges Invite System

  • Power Storm
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
      First off, the reason the system crashed on Monday was because it was impossible to predict the intense of amount of traffic that occurred on the site. We had made a major upgrade to our capacity and thought that would be sufficient. It obviously wasn't. It was me, Storm, at the helm on Monday. I watched the system crash and I moved as quickly as humanly possible, even though I was at work, to reboot the system at a higher capacity. Each time I rebooted it wasn't enough and the site froze again. And unfortunately each time I rebooted some data was lost. The rebooting process takes about 3 - 5 minutes each time to do it. Finally, I rebooted to the largest capacity available and it worked. There was no conspiracy, no desire to defraud, it was simply a human trying her hardest but still being HUMAN!!!

      Furthermore, once you click on the "Buy Now" button the system reserves the invites for 30 minutes to give you sufficient time to complete your payment through PayPal. If you do not complete your payment within 30 minutes the invites are released back into the system. Each time you refresh the page and click "Buy Now" you place more invites in reserve, thus making it appear that a Tier is sold out prematurely. Due to the way the program and PayPal interact, we do not have the capacity for instantaneous payment and inventory reduction.

      The online ticketing system used by Burnt Oranges was created by Ben, a fellow Burner, as his gift to the community. He donated hundreds of hours to create and support this system; this is time that is normally billed at $100 - $125 an hour, which means that Ben has easily saved us $35,000. The system is maintain and managed by your fellow Burners with various levels of technical knowledge, also at no charge, which saves us an additional $5,000 per year.

      Thanks to this generous donation of time, Burnt Oranges currently spends around 2.6% of invite revenue for the ticketing system and almost 100% of this cost is the credit card processing fee charged by PayPal. If we were change to a paid service this would at the very least double our costs and that is if we go to a flat ticketing system with no reservations, in other words all invites would be first come first serve. If we want to keep our reserved system, that will cost us more. If we want to keep the tiered system, well that's going to be even more expensive.

      It's because we watch our pennies, do things like using an in-house ticketing system that was FREE, and donated man hours that we have money to give so many art grants and bring large scale art projects like the Lifesize Mouse Trap to Florida. And by all means, if you have the skills and think you can create a better system for FREE, then step up and volunteer.
    • John King
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
        You.........are a firecracker!!!