Observations

  • e
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2011
      I would like to preface this letter by saying that its intention is not
      to be inflammatory or to single anybody out. This is merely me voicing
      my views and observations as a relative newcomer to the Burner
      community.

      My wife and I were invited to Afterburn 2010 by an established member,
      who also happens to be family. We were not quite sure what to expect,
      but decided to join her and her campsite. Right off the bat, as
      "virgins," we were simply blown away.

      As we struggled with setting up our tent (we are hardly experienced
      campers) a stranger approached us and asked if we needed any help.
      Incorporating my best stubborn man act, I insisted we were fine. He
      stood there for a second and asked again if we were sure, because it
      really was no problem at all. I was not used to someone offering up
      their valuable time to help a couple of strangers. Of course in the
      real world, this would make me a bit nervous. What are they really
      after? But his generosity seemed sincere, so I agreed to accept his
      assistance.

      After saving us probably half an hour messing with that dumb tent, we
      exchanged names and hugs and he was off. I've seen this person two
      more times at a house party and Preheat, and like most Burners that we
      have met, he just exudes positive energy all the time. Like everyone
      else who attends these events, I could share countless stories and
      interactions about inspiring creativity and spectacular human beings.

      Moving right along, I feel the need to address something that bothers
      me, and that is the animosity that many of the senior members - most of
      whom I know post on this mailing list - have towards any faction of
      fellow attendees that they consider different from themselves. Bro's.
      Douchebags. Ravers. Whatever you want to call it. There were several
      incidents that I witnessed this past weekend (mainly because I was the
      target your venom) that made me flat out embarrassed for many of you.
      But there is a beginning to this story, and it goes back to December.

      We were invited to a party that many familiar faces from Afterburn
      would be at. Once again, a wonderful night with many great people. At
      this point, my wife and I thought we had stumbled upon something that
      we had been searching for for quite some time. Then later in the
      evening another recognizable face showed up. A few times throughout
      the evening we spoke, which mainly consisted of me telling her how
      awesome I thought her campsite was at AB and that was that. Then out
      of nowhere a bit later, she walked up to me and ripped my shades and
      hat off of my face and threw them on the ground. "Take that shit off
      it's not daytime!"

      I was shell-shocked. Did that really just happen? I lost my cool a
      bit and we traded some words, but I ended up walking inside to calm
      down. I have since learned that this person is a big player in your
      circles. I have also heard several lame excuses as to why she did it
      (I look like some guy she used to date???) It's enabling 101. My wife
      even went as far to write to her on Facebook a couple of days later to
      say that she hopes that there are no hard feelings, alcohol, etc. No
      reply. That, to me, speaks volumes. But I'm a big boy, and I am
      trying to avoid drama like the plague. It is not hard to avoid
      somebody like this and that is the route I have decided to take. Of
      course this means staying away from any separate gatherings or Santacons
      etc that I know she frequents. As far as AB and PH, it is a big place.
      Anytime I saw her this weekend, I simply went the other way. But
      simultaneously, I learned that there are many others who share her
      ignorant views.

      Yes, you will often find me wearing shades at night when I'm out acting
      the fool. This is primarily because my pupils should shielded from the
      outside world. For some strange reason, they like to overtake the
      whites of my eyes in certain settings. Who knows. It is not because I
      think that I am a cool guy, or that I am attempting to undermine the
      integrity of what you have built. It is because I am a goofball, as
      evidenced by the selection of dopey and gaudy shades you will see me
      wearing. I'm not showing off $300 pairs of shades here. These are
      flea market specials. But regardless of what I am wearing, the
      behavior of several of the people who post here was deplorable.

      I get it. It's nighttime. Only an idiot would be wearing shades.
      Thanks for reminding me three different times, folks.

      I get it. I look like that one guy on Jersey Shore. I guess the
      satirical overtones of wearing bright pink shades, a pink hat that said
      HOTTIE and having starfish glued to my shirt went right past that
      narrow mind of yours.

      And to then tell me that it's just "busting balls Burner style" once I
      let you know that I have never watched Jersey Shore, well that is a cop
      out as well.

      I know this because the next day as my wife and I were talking to
      another main organizer, sharing information that we had to try to
      retrieve the liquor that had been stolen from the center bar, she takes
      a second to pause and glare at a shirtless guy who happened to be in
      good shape. "Look at these Jersey Shore guys. Shouldn't he be busy at
      the gym? Pssshhhh." It was malicious and completely uncalled for. I
      don't like Jersey Shore prototypes myself. But you see....

      Later that day we interacted with that guy. He was having a good time
      with several other people. He made himself involved at another site
      and did not come off as "douchey" at all. It can't be about having a
      nice body because I certainly do not keep myself in the shape that he
      was in. Maybe it really is the shades? Nah, this guy wasn't wearing
      those. Ah, perhaps it is just anyone who you do not know? Perhaps it
      is anything that you decide to add to your list at any given moment?
      So sad.

      I do have much respect for everyone who has a hand in putting these
      events together. I still stand by my statement that there is no better
      environment that I have experienced as a whole than AB and PH. I do
      indeed plan on never missing any of them in the future. After feeling
      out the first two gatherings, I also definitely plan on volunteering in
      the future to be a part of the wonderful interactive process that makes
      it all work. Storm seems like a great person who works wonders behind
      the scenes in an otherwise thankless position.

      But beyond that I will never be one of you. You (collectively) have
      made it very clear that you don't want me. That's a shame. I
      sincerely apologize for the shades. What was I thinking?

      PS. Maybe individual emails might be better to flex your comedic
      muscles instead of this mailing list. It gets pretty embarrassing at
      times and can clutter up inboxes. Also, when someone asks for some
      legitimate advice on how to do something, like gifting their tickets,
      maybe one of the regulars can give a legitimate answer, instead of
      sending them on some wild goose chase (busting balls Burner style, I'm
      sure) and then waiting two days before someone else tells them that was
      not a serious answer. Just a thought.

      Take care.
      John aka "Bread"

    • Burt DeWitt
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2011
        On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 5:34 PM, e <johnking33762@...> wrote:

        > I would like to preface this letter by saying that its intention is not
        > to be inflammatory or to single anybody out. This is merely me voicing
        > my views and observations as a relative newcomer to the Burner
        > community.

        Well I for one am glad to see that you can voice your issues and yet still
        see the "big picture" and not blame the overall event for a few rather
        unfortunate incidents. People are people and not everyone is going to mesh
        with someone else. I say keep getting out there and meet the rest of us.
        Don't let a few, no matter how high up the food chain they may be, ruin
        your day. Just pass them by and remember the rules of karma.

        I share your issue about needing to wear shades a lot, though not at night.
        But really who should give a fuck if you do or not. Seriously folks, if
        you do, you need to reconsider why you are here in the first place.

        I'm a newb too, only 3 events under my belt. I LOVE, LOVE PH and AB! I
        have nothing but awesome things to say about everyone I have meet with,
        chatted with, drunkly flirted with, or just got to share being around with
        for every event. I have over 17 years of festivals and events in various
        circles and never have I been to any that have this amount of positive
        energy. I AM home for a few short hours 2 times a year.

        THANK YOU to everyone I meet this last event that helped shaped my
        experience. I hope I was as positive an influence on your experience as you
        were on mine. HUGE props out to the volunteers that make things like this
        happen. I was overjoyed to be able to give back for the first time as both
        a ranger and a medic. Heck I had to "fight" to get a shift, there were that
        many people wanting to help.

        While there are so many people that I had a great time with I wanted to
        shout out to a few,
        Naughty Bus, I LOVE you! Erin you are now my personal bartender! Noodlers
        rule! Story I want a rematch in the pillow punch ring, I'm still sore from
        that smackdown, Trouble you are still trouble, Hooka Lounge can COOK, thank
        you for dinner for the volunteers, My Fetlife campmates, thank you for
        having me, Waffles in the am are the best and I can go on and on and on...

        For those that wanted to get ahold of me (ahem, DOUG) I am reachable on
        Facebook as Burt DeWitt, just befriend the one with a pic, the other one
        with no pic would NOT be the one you are looking for. Email me at
        misterb34986@... or on Fetlife as misterb34986.

        MisterB

      • Elizabeth Humphrey
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2011
          Hey Bread,

          I for one am totally disgusted by the way you have been treated. Just like the default world, it seems people are judging a book by its cover and not for what's important, what's on the inside. Their loss, not yours. You are not missing a thing by not letting toxic people
          In.

          I think some people are so insecure the only way they can feel better about themselves is to cut down others.

          I am sorry that the actions of a few people have tainted your experience. But know this, you are part of the community. You are being heard and understood. I hope that you can continue to draw on the positives and let the negatives go.

          I also hope we can get together soon. I miss you guys.

          Your family and friend,
          Lizzy in Orlando

        • bill keiser
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2011
            i will agree will agree with lizzie. our community is composed of
            humans, and there are good and bad here as well as elsewhere. i think
            most people will agree that we generally have a better quality of folk
            here, though. and i am sorry you ran into a few that you got a bad
            impression from. i trust that you will not take them as representative
            of the group as a whole.
            we have no "senior members", except in the sense that some of us may
            be older or in this group longer than others, in itself a totally
            insignificant statistic.
            the nature of our community tends to attract more ADD, Asperger,(some
            would cite me as an example of both!) and other unorthodox types, so our
            civility may not be traditional at times.
            i would wish that your negative experiences were just
            misunderstandings. I also think that if that kind of behavior occurred,
            most of us would call the person on it. choice of clothing and
            accessories is certainly the LAST thing that we care about!
            i can think of several of our group who might do or say things like
            those, but usually in jest, too drunk, or just having a momentary lapse
            of reason for various reasons. possibly those persons will read about
            the incidents, recognize themselves and apologize privately.

            as for the invite joke, yeah, that should have been exposed earlier. i
            would have, but i wasn't actually sure it was a joke and was busy preparing.
            billy sharpstick - tampa

            e wrote:

> [...]
            > the future to be a part of the wonderful interactive process that makes
            > it all work. Storm seems like a great person who works wonders behind
            > the scenes in an otherwise thankless position.
            >
            > But beyond that I will never be one of you. You (collectively) have
            > made it very clear that you don't want me. That's a shame. I
            > sincerely apologize for the shades. What was I thinking?
            >

            > PS. Maybe individual emails might be better to flex your comedic
            > muscles instead of this mailing list. It gets pretty embarrassing at
            > times and can clutter up inboxes. Also, when someone asks for some
            > legitimate advice on how to do something, like gifting their tickets,
            > maybe one of the regulars can give a legitimate answer, instead of
            > sending them on some wild goose chase (busting balls Burner style, I'm
            > sure) and then waiting two days before someone else tells them that was

          • Robyn
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2011
              I love you, Lizzy. You are such an amazing person.

              I was witness to several of the incidents Bread mentioned and I too was taken aback. Certainly not something I would have expected from such a peaceful group of people (who yes, are also human). But even so, that doesn't change the fact that overall, I adore the people I have met and the memories I have made. Nothing can spoil that.

              Everyone, thank you for your kind responses thus far. We were worried that this might open a can of worms. Bread and I both felt strongly that something needed to be said, particularly to a few of those who post on this message board, as they were the the inviduals who have made the comments.

              xoxo,
              No fancy burner name - Robyn

              --- In Burnt-Oranges-Events@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Humphrey <lizzyhumphrey@...> wrote:

              > Hey Bread,
              >
              > I for one am totally disgusted by the way you have been treated. Just like the default world, it seems people are judging a book by its cover and not for what's important, what's on the inside. Their loss, not yours. You are not missing a thing by not letting toxic people
              > In.
              >
              > I think some people are so insecure the only way they can feel better about themselves is to cut down others.
              >
              > I am sorry that the actions of a few people have tainted your experience. But know this, you are part of the community. You are being heard and understood. I hope that you can continue to draw on the positives and let the negatives go.
              >
              > I also hope we can get together soon. I miss you guys.
              >
              > Your family and friend,
              > Lizzy in Orlando

            • fierysage10
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2011
                Hi Bread,

                I hope you feel welcome regardless of what a few individuals may spout every now and then. Labels and slandering can hurt... even when meant in a joking manner. For most of the group that I do know, I am inclined to believe the comments were in jest and teasing, but it sounds like it felt a lot different. If you are contributing, participating or even brand-spankin' new and just wanting to get to know more... you are welcome. Period. I have always enjoyed that about the group as a whole and it makes me sad to hear that anyone might be judged by their appearance alone. If someone is acting like a prick, that can be different... but even then, it is often a result of something going on internally and projected externally. I hope that through more and more interactions, you will have many more positive experiences of the group than negative ones. And maybe your post will allow some to recognize that as open a group as we may think we are... sometimes we do get "clique-y" and that comments made in jest can be interpreted as hurtful.

                sending hugs and happy thoughts,

                ~charis/curry in clearwater

                --- In Burnt-Oranges-Events@yahoogroups.com, "e" <johnking33762@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > the future to be a part of the wonderful interactive process that makes
                > it all work. Storm seems like a great person who works wonders behind
                > the scenes in an otherwise thankless position.
                >
                > But beyond that I will never be one of you. You (collectively) have
                > made it very clear that you don't want me. That's a shame. I
                > sincerely apologize for the shades. What was I thinking?
                >

                > PS. Maybe individual emails might be better to flex your comedic
                > muscles instead of this mailing list. It gets pretty embarrassing at
                > times and can clutter up inboxes. Also, when someone asks for some
                > legitimate advice on how to do something, like gifting their tickets,
                > maybe one of the regulars can give a legitimate answer, instead of
                > sending them on some wild goose chase (busting balls Burner style, I'm
                > sure) and then waiting two days before someone else tells them that was

              • Kimberly Lynn
                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2011
                  Mr. B

                  You volunteers are the reason we can all come together and share these events. Our cooking is Burnt Oranges and the Hookha Lounge crew's way of showing appreciation for our volunteers.

                  Besides it's like crack, once you have had our volunteer dinner we have you hooked! ;)

                  Love and Hugs
                  Kim

                  On Tue May 3rd, 2011 12:34 AM EDT Burt DeWitt wrote:

                  >On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 5:34 PM, e <johnking33762@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> I would like to preface this letter by saying that its intention is not
                  >> to be inflammatory or to single anybody out. This is merely me voicing
                  >> my views and observations as a relative newcomer to the Burner
                  >> community.
                  >>

                  >Well I for one am glad to see that you can voice your issues and yet still
                  >see the "big picture" and not blame the overall event for a few rather
                  >unfortunate incidents. People are people and not everyone is going to mesh
                  >with someone else. I say keep getting out there and meet the rest of us.
                  > Don't let a few, no matter how high up the food chain they may be, ruin
                  >your day. Just pass them by and remember the rules of karma.
                  >
                  >I share your issue about needing to wear shades a lot, though not at night.
                  > But really who should give a fuck if you do or not. Seriously folks, if
                  >you do, you need to reconsider why you are here in the first place.
                  >
                  >I'm a newb too, only 3 events under my belt. I LOVE, LOVE PH and AB! I
                  >have nothing but awesome things to say about everyone I have meet with,
                  >chatted with, drunkly flirted with, or just got to share being around with
                  >for every event. I have over 17 years of festivals and events in various
                  >circles and never have I been to any that have this amount of positive
                  >energy. I AM home for a few short hours 2 times a year.
                  >
                  >THANK YOU to everyone I meet this last event that helped shaped my
                  >experience. I hope I was as positive an influence on your experience as you
                  >were on mine. HUGE props out to the volunteers that make things like this
                  >happen. I was overjoyed to be able to give back for the first time as both
                  >a ranger and a medic. Heck I had to "fight" to get a shift, there were that
                  >many people wanting to help.
                  >
                  >While there are so many people that I had a great time with I wanted to
                  >shout out to a few,
                  >Naughty Bus, I LOVE you! Erin you are now my personal bartender! Noodlers
                  >rule! Story I want a rematch in the pillow punch ring, I'm still sore from
                  >that smackdown, Trouble you are still trouble, Hooka Lounge can COOK, thank
                  >you for dinner for the volunteers, My Fetlife campmates, thank you for
                  >having me, Waffles in the am are the best and I can go on and on and on...
                  >
                  >For those that wanted to get ahold of me (ahem, DOUG) I am reachable on
                  >Facebook as Burt DeWitt, just befriend the one with a pic, the other one
                  >with no pic would NOT be the one you are looking for. Email me at
                  >misterb34986@... or on Fetlife as misterb34986.
                  >
                  >MisterB

                • fierysage10
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3, 2011
                    The volunteer dinner was fantabulous in so many ways!!! Thank you again Kim and Fjord & camp! MMMMM!

                    ~charis/curry