Black Rock Ranger training in Florida

  • Travels of Fatboy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hey all,

      Happy New Year to everybody!

      We are putting together the training schedule for the Black Rock Rangers,
      and we are going to have another training in Florida.

      I've been tasked with putting it together date-and-location-wise, so I want
      to gauge interest etc.

      Time-wise, the training is one day, all day (9am-4pm, with a quick lunch
      break)[1]. I am shooting for a Saturday two or more weeks before PreHeat, so
      sometime in late March/early April. I want the training to be close enough
      to PreHeat so those inclined retain the training and can use some of it at
      PreHeat, but not so close that you are traveling a long way two weekends in
      a row.

      Location-wise, I am trying to find a location that is relatively central. We
      used the Storm Shelter last year, and it worked out OK. The only problem is
      that it's a wee bit off the beaten path, and again I want to minimize
      people's travel burden if at all possible. I'm looking at various locations
      in the central Orlando area, less than a mile off the major highways if at
      all possible.

      So here's the feedback I need from you Florida burners that are interested
      in being a Black Rock Ranger this year [4]:

      1. Would you rather have the training on the same weekend as PreHeat,
      earlier, or later?
      2. Where are you, and how far would you be willing to travel to do the
      training?

      Cheers all

      Fatboy
      Wearing the Ranger Trainer hat this time around

      [1] Returning Black Rock Rangers (who've done it more than 2 years)
      technically only have to attend the afternoon training, but I can use all
      the help I can get ;-)[2]
      [2] Footnotes are a time-honored ranger communication device[3]
      [3] and inside joke
      [4] There are a few requirements I'll post later, the short version is that
      you have to have attended Burning Man at least once before, and be willing
      to walk at least two six-hour shifts out there this year.