Surnames in Buffalo and Niagara Falls

  • crprevost@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2001
      My paternal great-grandparents came from Tuchow Poland and immigrated
      to Buffalo around 1885 where my grandmother was born in 1886. The
      family lived on E. Thomas Street, and were buried in the St.
      Stanislaus Cemetery. I am trying to find the death certificate of
      Jozef Soltys as well as the birth certificate of his daughter, Helen
      Soltys. I am waiting for the microfilmed baptismal and death records
      of St. Stanislaus Church from LDS. I have tried many other sources
      including the city clerk, Albany Dept. of Vital Records and St.
      Stanislaus Cemetery.

      Jozef Soltys d. 1898

      Julia Soltys (later remarried and became Julia Stetz, proprietor of
      the Old Stetz Restaurant in Buffalo.)

      Helen Soltys b.1886
    • apercival@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2001
        Those records are indexed in part. But the index is really kind of screwy.
        But, read the records carefully, don't go by just the index.

        If you were really lucky, they'd have gone to St. Joachims. That church has
        their burial records on microfilm to about 1982.