Paderewski Festival in Buffalo

  • szal@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2004
      From another mailing list ---
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: bechs
      To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
      Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 12:19 PM
      Subject: Paderewski Festival in Buffalo m-r
      Dear Historical Society Members:
      As you know, we try to pass on items of general interest from time to
      time. Here is something that will be of interest to music lovers. Please
      forgive the length of this message but it will allow you to mark your
      calendars.
      Paderewski Festival
      Plays-Pianos-Presentations
      An International Event Celebrating Ignacy Jan Paderewski (1860-1941),
      one of the greatest figures of the 20th Century, a virtuoso
      pianist-composer-statesman-philanthropist, organized by the Polish
      Cultural Foundation, Inc., in co-operation with the University of
      Buffalo, the Warsaw Theatre Academy, the Tarnow Municipal Theatre, and
      local participating Polish American organizations.
          a.. January 21-Wednesday - 5:00 PM
          Dr. Fronczak's Friendship with Ignacy Jan Paderewski
      presentation by Ms. Wanda Slawinska, Curator, Fronczak Room, Buffalo
      State College Event Sponsor: Dr. Fronczak Room
          Location: Butler Library, Buffalo State College, Room 210
          a.. February 17 - Tuesday - 7:00 PM
          A Tribute to Chopin, Concert and Reception celebrating
      Chopin's Birthday - special guest appearance by Igor Lipinski, first
      prize winner Piano Competition (1998,1999), Paderewski Festival, Kasna,
      Poland. Free Admission Event Sponsor: Chopin Singing Society
          Location: Leonard Post Jr. Post No. 6251 VFW, 2450 Walden
      Avenue, Cheektowaga, NY
          a.. February 21- Saturday - 7:00 PM
          The Life and Works of Paderewski, a presentation by Dr.
      Kazimierz Braun, and a Piano Concert, featuring Igor Lipinski, recipient
      of the Grand Prix for Young Pianists at the Paderewski Festival in
      Kasna, Poland. Tickets for adults are $15.00 at door ($10.00 pre-sale);
      students are $8.00 at door ($5.00 pre-sale). Call Linda Grabowski
      (716)-683-3413 Event Sponsor: Canisius College Chair of Polish Culture
      and Polish Cultural Foundation, Inc.
          Location: Montante Cultural Center, 2001 Main Street,
      Buffalo, NY
          a.. February 25 - February 29
          Paderewski's Children by Kazimierz Braun. A new play
      presenting the life and works of one of the greatest sons of Poland and
      a leader of American Polonia. The action of the play takes place at the
      Niagara-on-the-Lake military training camp of the Polish Kosciuszko Army
      during World War I and in Krakow, Poland, during World War II. Live
      piano music, including compositions of Chopin and Paderewski, will
      accompany the stage events. The play is directed by the author and
      produced by the Department of Theatre and Dance of the University at
      Buffalo, in cooperation with the Polish Cultural Foundation, Inc.
      Preview Performance Wednesday Feb. 25th - 8:00PM
          Premiere Performance and Reception Thursday Feb. 26th -
      6:00PM Special Ticket Price: $35.00 Friday, February 27th-8:00PM;
      Saturday, February 28th- 2:00PM & 8:00PM; Sunday, February 29th- 2:00PM
      & 8:00PM
          Location: Center for the Arts, UB Amherst Campus
          Tickets are available at Center for the Arts Box Office at
      (716) 645-2787 or at all Ticketmaster Locations at (716) 852-5000,
      $15.00 non-students; $6.00 students and seniors (60+) a.. February 28 -
      Saturday - 11:00 AM
       The Role of Art in the Cultural Life of American Polonia Panel
      Presentation & Luncheon, Hon. Carl L. Bucki; Mr. Joseph Macielag; Dr.
      Thomas Witakowski moderated by Dr. Kazimierz Braun,With Dr. Marek
      Waszkiel, Vice-Rector, Warsaw Theatre Academy, Warsaw, Poland; Mr.
      Wojciech Markiewicz, Paderewski Festival Producer, Kasna, Poland. Event
      Sponsor: Polish Cultural Foundation Location: Center for Tomorrow, UB
      Amherst Campus All Tickets are $25.00. Call Linda Grabowski
      (716)-683-3413

      a.. February 29 - Sunday - 12 Noon Mass   St. Stanislaus Church,
      featuring the I. J. Paderewski Singing Society and the St. Stanislaus
      Parish Choir, 124 Wilson St., Buffalo, NY. EXHIBITS

      You are invited to view the following exhibits celebrating the
      Paderewski Festival:
          a.. January 5- 30 Paderewski with Emphasis on his Buffalo
      Connection Curated by Mrs. Wanda Slawinski, the exhibition presents
      historical photographs and memorabilia from the Dr. Fronczak Collection
      and features the exhibition Paderewski: Portrait of a Musician on loan
      from Polish Music Center, University of Southern California, Los
      Angeles," Maja Trochimczyk, curator. Location: Buffalo State College E H
      Butler Library. Open during library hours a.. February 3-29 Exhibit -
      Jean Dickson, Curator Event Sponsor: Polish Room, University of Buffalo
      Location: Lockwood Library (5th floor).............

      Sally Treanor

      Senior Director, Administration & Operations Buffalo and Erie County
      Historical Society 25 Nottingham Court
      Buffalo, New York 14216-3199
      Tel. (716) 873-9644 Ext. 320
      Fax (716) 873-1894

      Note: I am not a member -- please direct any & all questions to the
      above telephone #. Dolores

      Researching: Konopa/Malecki/Skierkiewicz:Jaksice, Inowroclaw & Topola
      PL>Buffalo NY; Kuzara/Mazurek: Gruszka Duza PL>Buffalo NY & CA;
      Szalasny:Brzeszcza PL>Buffalo NY; Wenckowska: Wylatowo Moglino
      PL>Buffalo NY: Przybysz/Rutkowska:Badkowo Aleksandrow PL> Buffalo
      NY;Walas: Sulow PL>Buffalo NY; Bakowski/Antkowiak: Buffalo NY