Generating Interest...

  • c. michael eliasz
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
      I love the group and I think it can be helpful to all of us searching
      for our Polish roots (in particular those in the Buffalo area).

      I just wanted to show people what is listed in this Yahoo Group's
      database in case you have not noticed. There are four records and
      they are:

      Database Database Help

      Add Record | Printable Report | Import Records | Export Table | Edit
      Table

      1-4 of 4 | Previous | Next [ First | Last ]

      Surname(Last Name) Your Email Your Name Comments
      ELIASZ meliasz@... Michael Eliasz
      Looking for ELIASZ's or LESZCZYNSKI's (particularly from Biechow,
      Poland) who settled in Depew,NY

      Ogorkiewicz BSS9876543@... Barbara Snyder
      village of Miescisko, Wagrowiec, Poznan

      S(Z)ALASNY(A) szal@... Dolores Konopa Possibly
      from Breszc PL

      Wozniak/Wojciechowski mwozniak@... Mark Wozniak Looking
      in the Broadway/Bailey-St John Kanty area

      Remember we get out of this group what we put in. And that philosophy
      is never more true then in genealogy!

      Happy Holidays!!
    • BSS9876543@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
        Just wondered is anyone has an idea how I can find a reverse directory for
        1899. I have the address in Buffalo & would like to know the resident's
        name.

        Barbara

      • Andrew Czernek
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
          > Just wondered is anyone has an idea how I can find a reverse directory for
          > 1899. I have the address in Buffalo & would like to know the resident's
          > name.<

          Barbara --

          I'm about to go to NARA today. I could look it up for you in the 1900
          Census.

          Best regards,

          Andy
        • BSS9876543@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
            Andy: I would appreciate that. All is have is the address (of an uncle) on
            the passenger list and a few letters of his name. I have looked through
            Soundex but didn't find it.

            Address: 589 Buffalo St. (I have learned that there is such a street & it
            may have extended farther than it is today.)

            Name: Teofil Kloniucz (?) - after the n the rest is not clear. This is an
            unfamiliar surname so I don't know what to make of it.

            Thanks.

            Barbara

          • Andrew Czernek
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
              Barbara --

              Got it! I'll let you know how things go.

              NARA also has passenger lists -- I'm going to check whether or
              not the information on my grandfather's naturalization papers
              matches immigration documents. I'm told by NARA researchers
              that in order to own real estate (the goal of every good Pole), an
              "declaration of intention" to become a citizen had to be filed within
              7 years of arrival -- which led to incorrect statements about arrival
              dates. The 1920 Census shows incorrect arrival dates for both
              of my grandparents.

              Best regards,

              Andy

              > Andy: I would appreciate that. All is have is the address (of an uncle)
              on
              > the passenger list and a few letters of his name. I have looked through
              > Soundex but didn't find it.
              >
              > Address: 589 Buffalo St. (I have learned that there is such a street &
              it
              > may have extended farther than it is today.)
              >
              > Name: Teofil Kloniucz (?) - after the n the rest is not clear. This is an
              > unfamiliar surname so I don't know what to make of it.
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Barbara

            • Anne Kruszka
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
                Usually in the back of the directories there is an address listing!

                Anne (Percival) Kruszka
                Researching Bowman, Carter, Chinn, Kettler, Kirtley, Klijewski, Knost, Kruszka, Maitland, Meyer, Oliphant, Percival, Synos, Webb, Zalot, & Zimmeth
                Just wondered is anyone has an idea how I can find a reverse directory for
                1899. I have the address in Buffalo & would like to know the resident's
                name.

                Barbara

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • plcunn@citlink.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
                  I can only think of one way you might be able to find that, and it may be
                  labor intensive:

                  Phone numbers used to be issued by their location - so you might try looking
                  in a phone book from that era and look for the prefix. The prefix (first
                  several numbers) should tell you which town or area of town the number is
                  in. If you're lucky, the phone book will be separated by town or area of
                  town, and you might be able to scan the pages until you find your number.

                  Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

                • BSS9876543@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
                    Andy: Good luck!
                    About incorrect arrival dates - and other dates. Mine are full of errors -
                    probably due to forgetting and some due to lying. For 14 years I looked for
                    a home town for my GM based on my GF's Intent papers. Couldn't find her on
                    the Ellis Island site because of bad misspelling. When I finally found her
                    (name mangled) on the passenger list using the one-step database for Ellis
                    Island, I got a mangled version of the right town. I think he just forgot
                    and made something up.

                    Barbara

                  • Anne Kruszka
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
                      In 1940, when faced with filling out his mother's Alien registration papers for the first time, my husband's uncle, lacking a birth record for his mother, put HIS FATHER'S birthdate down. Grandma always insisted she didn't know when her own birthday was and she did lie come here. She said she was almost 18 - she was in fact 13 when she sailed from Bremen to New York.