Depew - ELIASZ - LESZCZYNSKI - from Biechow Poland to Depew, NY

  • c. michael eliasz
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
      Hello everyone,

      I am searching for my distant Buffalo/Depew area relatives to
      complete my genealogy.

      My grandfather Joseph Eliasz came to Depew and his wife Valeria
      (Leszczynski) Eliasz followed in 1913. Many ELIASZ's and
      LESZCZYNSKI's came from Biechow, Poland to Depew, NY from about 1905-
      1913.

      My grandparents moved on to Ohio, then Michigan (where my direct
      relatives mostly reside).

      My grandfather had the following siblings: Wincenty, Jan/John, Pawel
      and a sister Mary all ELIASZ's.

      My grandmother had the following siblings: Theophilus(Teofil/Thomas),
      Michael (Mikolaj), Antonina and possibly a couple of other
      LESZCZYNSKI's as well.

      Can anyone in Depew/Buffalo area steer me to any ELIASZ's or
      LESZCZYNSKI's (many shortened this to Lester), who I can
      call/email/write to?
      Thanks in advance!

      -- michael eliasz
    • bruce g szczepankiewicz
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
        Hi Michael,

        I can't help you with Eliasz or Leszczynski relatives, but regarding the
        names of your grandmother's siblings, "Michael" is the equivalent of the
        Polish Michal. Mikolaj is Nicholas. It may be a minor point, but it could
        help you in identifying records which pertain to that relative.

        Good luck with your research.

        Julie Szczepankiewicz
      • Anne Kruszka
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
          Did anyone of them change their name to Lesinski?

          Anne (Percival) Kruszka
          Researching Bowman, Carter, Chinn, Kettler, Kirtley, Klijewski, Knost, Kruszka, Maitland, Meyer, Oliphant, Percival, Synos, Webb, Zalot, & Zimmeth

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
            Anne,
            I am sorry to say that most left it as LESZCZYNSKI and thosewho
            did change it, changed it to Lester. I know of no other changes, but
            I have lost contact with distant relations in Depew area, so it may
            be possible.

            --- In BuffaloPolonia@y..., "Anne Kruszka" <acpercival@h...> wrote:
            > Did anyone of them change their name to Lesinski?
            >
            > Anne (Percival) Kruszka
            > Researching Bowman, Carter, Chinn, Kettler, Kirtley, Klijewski,
            Knost, Kruszka, Maitland, Meyer, Oliphant, Percival, Synos, Webb,
            Zalot, & Zimmeth
            Biechow Poland to Depew, NY

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I am searching for my distant Buffalo/Depew area relatives to
            > complete my genealogy.
            >
            > My grandfather Joseph Eliasz came to Depew and his wife Valeria
            > (Leszczynski) Eliasz followed in 1913. Many ELIASZ's and
            > LESZCZYNSKI's came from Biechow, Poland to Depew, NY from about
            1905-
            > 1913.
            >
            > My grandparents moved on to Ohio, then Michigan (where my direct
            > relatives mostly reside).
            >
            > My grandfather had the following siblings: Wincenty, Jan/John,
            Pawel
            > and a sister Mary all ELIASZ's.
            >
            > My grandmother had the following siblings: Theophilus
            (Teofil/Thomas),
            > Michael (Mikolaj), Antonina and possibly a couple of other
            > LESZCZYNSKI's as well.
            >
            > Can anyone in Depew/Buffalo area steer me to any ELIASZ's or
            > LESZCZYNSKI's (many shortened this to Lester), who I can
            > call/email/write to?
            > Thanks in advance!
            >
            > -- michael eliasz

            Service.

          • c. michael eliasz
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
              Julie,
              Thank you for your kindness. I was aware that Mikolaj
              translates to Nicholas. But my great-uncle ALWAYS went by
              Mike/Michael after moving to America. I have found him in Ellis
              Island db (and he was Mikolaj then and that has been confirmed by
              family memebrs). My great uncle was a Sheriff for Buffalo and almost
              was elected its mayor. He was quite well known, but alas had no
              children.

              --- In BuffaloPolonia@y..., bruce g szczepankiewicz