Wozniak-Wojciechowski-Dombek

  • bfowoz
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2002
      Dzien Dobry!

      This is a first-time posting for me to this forum.

      I am searching for information about my parents' families, both based
      in the Broadway-Bailey neighborhood (Saint John Kanty's parish).
      Andrzej Wozniak, my great grandfather, emigrated to Buffalo before
      1896, when my grandfather Stephen (1896-1968) was born. Stephen and
      his wife Louise Borowicz (1897-1951) lived on Ashley Street, then on
      Hirschbeck Street, where my father Arthur and uncles Henry and Edward
      grew up. I don't know much about Andrzej, not even his wife's name,
      nor his immigration information, and my dad has no knowledge either.

      I am especially looking for information on my maternal grandfather
      Franciszek Wojciechowski (1888-1950). He married Rose Dombek (1890-
      1951) sometime before 1910, and they lived on Shepard Street. I'm
      told she was born in the German sector of Poland, near Hamburg, and
      emigrated with her parents, brother and sister when she was three
      months old (they're not on the Ellis Island site, since it doesn't
      start until 1892). They had eight children, the youngest of which,
      Rose (1927-1966), was my mother. Unfortunately my mom died when I was
      12, and I didn't develop the interest in her family history until
      well after her passing. Her siblings were Joseph (died in infancy,
      before 1910), Edmund (1910-1957), Charlotte (1913-1988), Matthew
      (1915-1999), Thaddeus (1917-1977), Bernice (c. 1919-), and Joseph
      (1922-).

      My dad has told me some stories about his in-laws, and one cousin has
      replied to a letter I sent out to several members of the family at
      Christmas. My grandfather Franciszek (Frank) Wojciechowski and his
      family lived near the border of Russian and Austrian-occupied Poland
      in the 19th century. His branch of the Wojciechowski family
      apparently descended from a member of the Polish Cavalry in the late
      1700s, and after the Partition one ancestor became a "majordomo" to a
      local nobleman, farming the land but living in very poor conditions.
      By the early 1900s the family was making some under-the-table money
      smuggling goods and draft-dodgers back and forth across the border.
      My grandfather, his three brothers, and a sister (names unknown to
      me) were sent to America by their father as the authorities were
      getting wise. This was apparently around 1905, but I can't find them
      on the Ellis Island site. In Buffalo, Frank ran a livery stable, had
      an ice business, and did some chiropractic work for people with
      sprains, etc. My dad says he would never touch broken bones, but that
      people from all over the neighborhood would come by when they needed
      his services. He also says that sometimes school coaches would sent
      injured players for treatment, and even the police would occasionally
      stop by with an injured drunk or someone who had been hurt in a
      fight. I'm told his funeral at Saint John Kanty's in August 1950 was
      well attended.

      I'm wondering if anyone here would remember such a man or might have
      heard about him on Buffalo's East Side in the first part of the 20th
      century, or perhaps might know who his siblings were. My dad seems to
      remember someone in the family operating a dry cleaning business on
      Broadway near Bailey.

      Dziekuje bardzo!

      ---
      Mark Wozniak
      mailto:mwozniak@...
    • Esther Ohio
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2002
        Dzien Dobry,

        I am forwarding your e-mail to an old classmate of mine from St. John Kanty who grew up in the neighborhood closer to Bailey Avenue. If I remember correctly, Kanty's celebrated their 50th anniversary in 1942 and I recall a parish book published that year. She may have a copy and it may contain the names and photos of the people you are researching. If your family attended Kanty's, the parish office could possibly furnish you baptismal and marriage certificates. Most likely your grandparents were buried in St. Stan's Cemetary. They can also furnish you information. Good luck. E.

        bfowoz wrote:Dzien Dobry!

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • mscsw
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2002
          I have found the staff at St. Stan's Cemetary to be most accommodating in my
          searching. Stopped there this summer to find a grave site and they searched
          their index card catalog (yes - no computer!) and old vellum handdrawn map to
          find what I was looking for. Then this fall, I sent them a list of names
          asking for burial information and within a week they had copied these records
          and replied. I wish all my searching was so easy! Good luck.
          Irene Wendzikowski Spencer, Baltimore, MD (formerly of Buffalo, West Seneca)