KORBA & REGULA

  • vkudos
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2002
      Hi All,

      I'm helping a GENfriend locate information on his ancestors.
      Does anyone at this site recognize the name: KORBA or KORB? My
      friend is not sure if his line was in NY but he knows they were
      in IL. His Korba was married to a Regula. Their full names are
      in one of my Email folders. I apologize for not having that data to
      report at this time.

      Carol
    • armelahammes@att.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2002
        Ralph Regula is either a State Senator or US Senator
        from OH. His wife has been instrumental in setting up
        the Presidents' Wives museum in Canton, OH. Funny, I
        always thought it was an Italian name. My "Polish
        Surnames" book, however, says that Regula means rules,
        set of basic principles.
        Armela

      • apercival@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2002
          Sounds like a Latin derivation rather than Polish.

          In a message dated 2/16/02 10:23:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          armelahammes@... writes:

          > Ralph Regula is either a State Senator or US Senator
          > from OH. His wife has been instrumental in setting up
          > the Presidents' Wives museum in Canton, OH. Funny, I
          > always thought it was an Italian name. My "Polish
          > Surnames" book, however, says that Regula means rules,
          > set of basic principles.
          > Armela

          Anne (Percival) Kruszka

        • armelahammes@att.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2002
            The Regula in the Polish Surnames book has the line
            through the l (or sometimes shown above the l)giving it
            the wa sound rather than the la sound. Variations of
            the name are Regolski, Regulski, Rygula and Rygulski,
            these sounding a little more Polish.
            Armela

          • apercival@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2002
              I wondering if it is more Galician than say German Polish. Are you using
              Hoffman's book?

              In a message dated 2/16/02 10:44:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              armelahammes@... writes:

              > The Regula in the Polish Surnames book has the line
              > through the l (or sometimes shown above the l)giving it
              > the wa sound rather than the la sound. Variations of
              > the name are Regolski, Regulski, Rygula and Rygulski,
              > these sounding a little more Polish.
              > Armela

              Anne (Percival) Kruszka

            • armelahammes@att.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 17, 2002
                Yes, I'm using Hoffman's book.
                AH

              • marya11875@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 17, 2002
                  MY BOOK HAS REGULA, NO "SLASH" IN THE L.