Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [BuffaloHistory] More restored vintage Buffalo pictures (Credits.)

Expand Messages
  • Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan
    I will probably leave my little group of pretty pictures just as it is... little, due to a shortage of free time to research who owns what. There is a fine
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 10, 2012
      I will probably leave my little group of pretty pictures just as it
      is... little,
      due to a shortage of free time to research who owns what.
      There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.
      They'll stay right here if you'd like to revisit:

      http://tinyurl.com/85dcugg

      Jack Blanchard
    • john_braungart
      ... I also found a slew of old Buffalo photos, running from (as near as I can tell) 1900 to 1956 at Shorpy s Historical photos.
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 11, 2012
        --- In BuffaloHistory@yahoogroups.com, Vince Harzewski <vh2@...> wrote:

        > This site might be worth a look:
        > http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/public-domain-photographs.html
        > Vince

        I also found a slew of old Buffalo photos, running from (as near as I can tell) 1900 to 1956 at Shorpy's Historical photos. http://www.shorpy.com/search/node/Buffalo%2C+New+York
        On that site, you can find just about ~anything~.

        Regards,
        John Braungart
      • Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan
        Thanks.
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 11, 2012
          Thanks.

          On 2/11/2012 8:55 AM, john_braungart wrote:
          > --- In BuffaloHistory@yahoogroups.com, Vince Harzewski<vh2@...> wrote:
          >
          >> This site might be worth a look:
          >> http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/public-domain-photographs.html
          >> Vince
          > I also found a slew of old Buffalo photos, running from (as near as I can tell) 1900 to 1956 at Shorpy's Historical photos. http://www.shorpy.com/search/node/Buffalo%2C+New+York
          > On that site, you can find just about ~anything~.
          >
          > Regards,
          > John Braungart
          >
          >
        • Dan K
          When you see something you like at Shorpy, also look for it on the Library of Congress site - most of his photos originate there, and haven t been downsized
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 13, 2012
            When you see something you like at Shorpy, also look for it on the Library of Congress site - most of his photos originate there, and haven't been downsized or manipulated. Photos of Lafayette Square in 1905 reveal details down to individual bricks and the light bulbs used to spell out signs, for instance. The "Shorpy" site usually keeps the original file name from the LoC, so searching is easy.


            --- On Sat, 2/11/12, john_braungart <braungart@...> wrote:

            > From: john_braungart <braungart@...>
            >
            > I also found a slew of old Buffalo photos, running from (as
            > near as I can tell) 1900 to 1956 at Shorpy's Historical
            > photos.  http://www.shorpy.com/search/node/Buffalo%2C+New+York
            > On that site, you can find just about ~anything~.
          • Cynthia Van Ness
            It doesn t look like Shorpy bothers to credit the Library of Congress, giving the impression that they own the originals.  That s why I have never promoted
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 16, 2012
              It doesn't look like Shorpy bothers to credit the Library of Congress, giving the impression that they own the originals.  That's why I have never promoted their site.  Completely unethical and simply bad historical practice, in my humble opinion.


               
              *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-*
              Cynthia Van Ness, MLS
              bettybarcode AT yahoo DOT com
              www.BuffaloResearch.com

              "Are all librarians this much trouble?"
              --Brendan Fraser as Rick O'Connell in The Mummy Returns, 2001




              >________________________________
              > From: Dan K <wny14213@...>
              >To: BuffaloHistory@yahoogroups.com
              >Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:25 AM
              >Subject: Re: [BuffaloHistory] Re: More restored vintage Buffalo pictures (Credits.)
              >
              >

              >When you see something you like at Shorpy, also look for it on the Library of Congress site - most of his photos originate there, and haven't been downsized or manipulated. Photos of Lafayette Square in 1905 reveal details down to individual bricks and the light bulbs used to spell out signs, for instance. The "Shorpy" site usually keeps the original file name from the LoC, so searching is easy.
              >
              >--- On Sat, 2/11/12, john_braungart <braungart@...> wrote:
              >
              >> From: john_braungart <braungart@...>
              >>
              >> I also found a slew of old Buffalo photos, running from (as
              >> near as I can tell) 1900 to 1956 at Shorpy's Historical
              >> photos.  http://www.shorpy.com/search/node/Buffalo%2C+New+York
              >> On that site, you can find just about ~anything~.
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.