Finding vintage footage from Buffalo

  • Cynthia Van Ness
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2011
      Hi, all,

      I often get asked about finding period footage from Buffalo. At the Historical
      Society, the oldest film is footage of the Peace Bridge dedication in 1927, with
      little else until the modern era of videotape. There are a few nostalgia
      programs made for public TV that are on

      tape, a few commercially-produced videos & DVDs, and not much else.

      So for vintage footage, I refer people to the Buffalo Broadcasters, who
      inherited a lot of tape from local TV stations.

      http://www.buffalobroadcasters.com/

      However, I just discovered that the Associated Press has some of its archives
      online, either

      with full footage or a catalog record telling you that footage exists but is not
      yet
      digitized. Search on Buffalo, NY and you get over 200 hits. The oldest I saw
      was from 1972, but I didn't study all 200 results; there may be older stuff as
      well.

      http://www.aparchive.com/

      Happy hunting!

      *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-*
      Cynthia Van Ness, MLS, bettybarcode AT yahoo DOT com
      www.BuffaloResearch.com

      "Are all librarians this much trouble?"
      --Brendan Fraser as Rick O'Connell in "The Mummy Returns," 2001, screenplay by
      Stephen Sommers
    • john_braungart
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2011
        --- In BuffaloHistory@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Van Ness <bettybarcode@...> wrote:

        > Hi, all,
        > I often get asked about finding period footage from Buffalo. At
        > the Historical Society, the oldest film is footage of the Peace
        > Bridge dedication in 1927, with little else until the modern era
        > of videotape. There are a few nostalgia programs made for public
        > TV that are on tape, a few commercially-produced videos & DVDs,
        > and not much else.

        I am surprised that they have nothing from the Pan-American Exposition. Recently, I was watching a History Channel about N. Tesla and there were a number of films from the Expo, both during the day and at night showing Tesla's electric lights.
        I have also seen footage of McKinley's funeral cortage taking his body back to the train station after he died.

        Regards,
        John Braungart
      • Cynthia Van Ness
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2011
          Pan-Am footage is online care of the Library of Congress, which is no doubt
          where the History channel got it:

          http://memory.loc.gov/papr/mckhome.html

          This is how LC came to have them:

          "Most of the films featured in the American Memory presentations are from the
          Paper Print Collection of the Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting,
          and Recorded Sound Division. Because the copyright law did not cover motion
          pictures until 1912, early film producers who desired protection for their work
          sent paper contact prints of their motion pictures to the U.S. Copyright Office
          at the Library of Congress. These paper prints were made using light-sensitive
          paper the same width and length as the film itself, and developed as though a
          still photograph. Some motion picture companies, such as the Edison Company
          and the Biograph Company, submitted entire motion pictures--frame by frame--as
          paper prints. Other producers submitted only illustrative sequences."

          http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/papr/mckppr.html