Re: [BuffaloHistory] HISTORIC POLISH CHURCHES UPSET ABOUT CLOSINGS

  • Cynthia Van Ness
    Message 1 of 89 , Jul 7, 2007
      In the Buffalo economy you can raise money to pay the heating
      bills for a struggling church or you can raise money to pay the
      heating bills for struggling families but you cannot do both.
      The church that cannot pay its own bills should not be expected
      to pay others'.

      --- AStep17427@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 7/7/2007 12:28:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight
      > Time,
      > centans@... writes:
      >
      > What if there were collections to pay bills for
      > struggling single moms? Collections to help with medications
      > for elderly who must chose between heart medicine and a leaky
      > roof?
      > Youth groups taking food and distributing it at homeless
      > shelters.
      >

      > People are fed at the homeless centers, and Erie County has a
      > good system of
      > social services for people who meet the income guidelines.
      > There are also
      > many PIN programs for people who need help with their
      > medications. Why are you
      > trying to have the Catholic Church replace the county
      > government??? What's
      > next? Training priests and nuns to operate at the new Heart
      > Center?
      > Anne

      *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:**:-.,_,.-*
      Cynthia Van Ness, MLS, bettybarcode AT yahoo DOT com
      http://www.BuffaloResearch.com

      "Everyone claims to want a city, but no one here wants city living. City living by its definition is crowded. It is tolerant of other people. It is dependent on a sophisticated population that makes a hundred compromises daily so that they can benefit from the collective energy that a city generates." --Robert N. Davis, Jr. (1955-2007)
    • Karen
      Message 89 of 89 , Jul 11, 2007
        Christ Church was founded in 1886 and closed some time ago. There was a
        fire in the church and it was torn down. The parish hall was all that
        remained but that too is gone. My family attended there from the late
        1880s (church opened in 1886) until the early 1960s. I went to the empty
        parking lot a number of years ago and salvaged a piece of brick.