Hello

  • Chris and Lisa
    Message 1 of 30 , May 28, 1999

      You can chat on the list be sending a message to Buell@onelist.com

      Welcome and enjoy your Buell,

      Chris
      http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/6161/
    • Todd Nannie
      Message 2 of 30 , May 29, 1999
        I just joined the list a few days ago, I was hoping to fin out more about
        everyone else's experince with the recall. Mine has not been good so far. I
        bought a 99 Cyclone the day the recall came out. They told me up front about
        the recall and that it could delay the deliver of the bike (they had to fix
        the recall before they would let me have the bike, liablity stuff). Any way
        I was already having to wait for them to get it from another dealer (I just
        had to have yellow) so I figured no big deal. However they now have the bike
        in Memphis but no kit to fix the recall stuff with. According to Buell the
        kits are supose to ship on May 31. I really hope they hurry this process up
        and I can get my bike in the next couple of weeks. Hope my story wasn't to
        long and boring but I had to tell someone who would listen (My wife really
        doesn't care)

        Thanks...

        Todd (Nashville)
        P.S. I would like to know were everyone else is from....
      • Chris and Lisa
        Message 3 of 30 , May 29, 1999
          Sorry about the wait.

          I am in Colorado Springs.

          Chris

            Message 5 of 30 , May 30, 1999
              Not a bad place to be, by my way of reckoning!

              Tell me, what is up with your X1. You had alluded that most of the
              problem is "stuff you've done to it," like what?

              I've had a Ducati Monster recently, so I do understand how something
              "character laden" could be a tad finicky, though the X1 ran so much
              better, with better everything else (chassis, suspension, brakes) I
              cannot even fathom what on earth you wanted to accomplish though
              modification. My Monster, incidentally, had shorter gearing, jetting
              with the airbox top removed and a K&N plate filter installed, along
              with some pretty obnoxious carbon fiber "mufflers." It ran pretty
              good, but not near as well as the STOCK X1.

              I loved the way the X1 felt, and understand that belt replacement is
              quite a bit easier, plus I like the way it looks better than the S3,
              though of course the S3 might be more versatile/comfortable. I think
              the X1 with a set of S3 (not "T") bars would about do it for me, as the
              wrist angle is more straight and in line with my forearms, and a tad
              higher. Also love the underseat storage for tools, flat kit, spare
              gloves, etc.

              Brilliant handler. Out here, we have the famous Angeles Crest Highway,
              and the sales guy takes me for a test ride (briefly) there! I've never
              felt any bike to be so natural to lean over, with such nice,
              well-damped but not harsh suspension, with such great steering
              feedback. I can tell that in the typical 40-110 mph speed envelope I
              am happiest in this thing would flat get with the program...if I can
              trust it not to grenade itself.

              What do you know about the roller rockers?

              Love to hear from you as you get a chance, and have a great Memorial
              Day!

              David Tong

              --- Chris and Lisa <Chris.n.Lisa@...> wrote:
              > From: "Chris and Lisa" <Chris.n.Lisa@...>
              >
              > Sorry about the wait.
              >
              > I am in Colorado Springs.
              >
              > Chris

            • Chris and Lisa
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 4, 1999
                David,

                So sorry for taking this long to answer. I am quite busy during the week.

                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 4, 1999
                  From: David Tong <ddtt2@...>
                  To: <Buell@onelist.com>

                  > I loved the way the X1 felt, and understand that belt replacement is
                  > quite a bit easier, plus I like the way it looks better than the S3,
                  > though of course the S3 might be more versatile/comfortable.

                  As far as wind in your face is concerned, it is not a problem on the X1.
                  The X1 provides a LOT more wind protection than say an earlier M2, and
                  better than last years S1. I've had my bike up to 130mph indicated and it
                  really only starts getting windy over 100.

                  The seat does press on my legs a little, that S3 seat looks more
                  comfortable.
                • Chris and Lisa
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 4, 1999
                    From: David Tong <ddtt2@...>
                    To: <Buell@onelist.com>

                    > I am only considering a Buell X1, live in L.A. area where the dealers
                    > are DEALING on them! My local dealer is Glendale Harley Davidson, the
                    > home of the Love Ride each year. Typically in LA, they sell for $1000
                    > or more off list, some dealers are even throwing in free PM wheel
                    > upgrades AND a discount.

                    Sounds really good. I only got a few hundred dollars off the list price.
                    But in the meantime my dealer has treated my right. I have around 700
                    dollars in savings from them in service and warranty issues. (they bought
                    my an extra year on the Harley plan. $450, paid for half of my 500 mile
                    service $85, and just recently didn't charge me for $85 in parts and labor
                    for exhaust stuff)

                    > I guess my question to all out there is ARE THEY RELIABLE? An old
                    > college buddy came up to go riding from San Diego, and he's heard of a
                    > few Buell guys blowing up their engines, rev limiters not working?

                    I have not heard of that and I know a lot of Buellers who frequent:
                    http://www.badweb.com/bikerBBS/messages/25/25.html

                    > I hadn't heard of the M2 recall, Glendale has a black one on the floor
                    > ready to go...I am rather more interested in the X1 because it has the
                    > hot motor and better suspension, though the M2 has a friendlier riding
                    > position and seat to be sure!

                    Yep that wide seat is a winner. But the X1 kicks butt!

                    > I've had 2 Ducatis, both were garbage,

                    Haven't they improved their stuff in the last few years? That 996 looks
                    awful hot, but too pricy for me.

                    > 4 Beemers, all were good, the
                    > Buell strikes me as a neat sportbike without all the plastic and with a
                    > relatively comfortable riding position compared to all the clip on
                    > equipped Japanese stuff which goes faster on the track but not at
                    > typical road speeds.

                    A sportbike it definitely IS, a racebike it really isn't without a lot of
                    work. Although the boyz racing them this year are doing pretty good.
                  • David Tong
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 5, 1999
                      My 1995 Ducati Monster had an oil consumption "problem," try 1
                      quart/700 miles, and that's not really romping on it. Since I thought
                      this excessive, I took it to Pro Italia, and after four months (!) in
                      the shop, they did:

                      1) Re-nikasil the cylinders
                      2) Re-ringed pistons
                      3) new valve guides and valve job*

                      They put it back together and noticed front cylinder leak-down. Take
                      it apart again, said that original valve guide was pressed too tightly
                      into head, head cracked. Thankfully I bought the bike with the
                      extended warranty from local dealer, all repairs were a no charge. Get
                      bike back, ride it for another 2000 miles, STILL eating oil 1 quart/800
                      miles.

                      BASTA! Enough already. Coupled with the non adjustable front
                      suspension and wonky springing/damping, and oil seepage, I offed the
                      thing first chance I got. Hope the new owner, whoever he is, is having
                      better luck.

                      Sure, a new 996 is pretty neat, so long as you have the bucks to keep
                      it tended to, by someone you really trust, and don't mind a $500-700
                      tune up every 6000 miles. Pass. Ducati is rumored to be going to an
                      F1 style pneumatic valve actuation system soon, which will obviate this
                      desmo BS; Japanese stuff spins to 15000 rpms now, so let's not talk too
                      much about the drawbacks of valve springs...

                      If I wanted a "sport" bike, the Buell or the TL-R Suzuki would be (way)
                      better choices, and I lean toward the Buell for the reasons you
                      stated-simpler, easier to maintain and understand, raw styling,
                      mileage, etc.

                      > > I am only considering a Buell X1, live in L.A.
                      > area where the dealers
                      > > are DEALING on them! My local dealer is Glendale
                      > Harley Davidson, the
                      > > home of the Love Ride each year. Typically in LA,
                      > they sell for $1000
                      > > or more off list, some dealers are even throwing
                      > in free PM wheel
                      > > upgrades AND a discount.
                      >
                      > Sounds really good. I only got a few hundred
                      > dollars off the list price.
                      > But in the meantime my dealer has treated my right.
                      > I have around 700
                      > dollars in savings from them in service and warranty
                      > issues. (they bought
                      > my an extra year on the Harley plan. $450, paid for
                      > half of my 500 mile
                      > service $85, and just recently didn't charge me for
                      > $85 in parts and labor
                      > for exhaust stuff)
                      >

                      > > I guess my question to all out there is ARE THEY
                      > RELIABLE? An old
                      > > college buddy came up to go riding from San Diego,
                      > and he's heard of a
                      > > few Buell guys blowing up their engines, rev
                      > limiters not working?
                      >
                      > I have not heard of that and I know a lot of
                      > Buellers who frequent:
                      > http://www.badweb.com/bikerBBS/messages/25/25.html
                      >

                      > > I hadn't heard of the M2 recall, Glendale has a
                      > black one on the floor
                      > > ready to go...I am rather more interested in the
                      > X1 because it has the
                      > > hot motor and better suspension, though the M2 has
                      > a friendlier riding
                      > > position and seat to be sure!
                      >
                      > Yep that wide seat is a winner. But the X1 kicks
                      > butt!
                      >

                      > > I've had 2 Ducatis, both were garbage,
                      >
                      > Haven't they improved their stuff in the last few
                      > years? That 996 looks
                      > awful hot, but too pricy for me.
                      >
                      > > 4 Beemers, all were good, the
                      > > Buell strikes me as a neat sportbike without all
                      > the plastic and with a
                      > > relatively comfortable riding position compared to
                      > all the clip on
                      > > equipped Japanese stuff which goes faster on the
                      > track but not at
                      > > typical road speeds.
                      >
                      > A sportbike it definitely IS, a racebike it really
                      > isn't without a lot of
                      > work. Although the boyz racing them this year are
                      > doing pretty good.

                      > Give back to your community through "Grow to Give."
                      > http://www.onelist.com
                      > Deadline is June 19. See homepage for details.

                    • David Tong
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 5, 1999
                        CHRIS,

                        THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENTS-I CAN TELL YOU REALLY DO RIDE.

                        --- Chris and Lisa <Chris.n.Lisa@...> wrote:
                        > From: "Chris and Lisa" <Chris.n.Lisa@...>
                        >
                        > David,
                        >
                        > So sorry for taking this long to answer. I am quite
                        > busy during the week.

                        EXHAUST SYSTEM WAS SOLID MOUNTED TO THE UNIPLANAR POWERTRAIN?
                        > In general, this bike does NOT have the fit and
                        > finish of a Honda. It's
                        > sorta rough, its not perfect. They have not poured
                        > over every detail of the
                        > fit and finish. But it IS vastly improved say over
                        > a '96 Buell. My brother
                        > in law has a '96 ST2 and there are differences
                        > everywhere, and mostly for
                        > the better of the new bike.
                        > IF I WANTED PERFECTION IN DETAIL, THEN I WOULD BUY JAPANESE, BUT
                        THERE IS A LOT TO BE SAID FOR USABLE, MAINTAINABLE TECHNOLOGY THAT'S
                        WORTH SOME NIGGLES SO LONG AS THEY REMAIN RELATIVELY MINOR ONES. I
                        ONCE OWNED PORSCHE 911'S, WHICH ARE LADEN WITH FEEL AND SOMEWHAT PRICEY
                        TO GET PARTS FOR AND MAINTAIN, BUT IT WAS ALWAYS "WORTH IT" BECAUSE OF
                        THE TERRIFIC CHASSIS AND FEEDBACK.
                        > > I've had a Ducati Monster recently, so I do
                        > understand how something
                        > > "character laden" could be a tad finicky, though
                        > the X1 ran so much
                        > > better, with better everything else (chassis,
                        > suspension, brakes) I
                        > > cannot even fathom what on earth you wanted to
                        > accomplish though
                        > > modification.
                        >
                        > Interesting. I was considering a monster at the
                        > same time I was looking at
                        > the X1. The X1 stole my heart with its looks. I
                        > also wanted Fuel
                        > Injection, so I chose the X1 over the Monster.
                        >
                        > The X1 does make more torque,, that's fun. One
                        > thing you can get with mods
                        > is MORE torque. I just spent 2 weeks on a V&H
                        > equipped 98 S1W (same engine)
                        > and the midrange was considerably more powerful.
                        > The X1 needs to breathe a
                        > little more than the stock can allows for. But let
                        > me tell you, as far as
                        > handling and comfort are concerned, the X1 beats S1W
                        > by far.
                        > WHAT OTHER MODS BESIDES THE PIPE DID THIS ENTAIL, AND JUST HOW LOUD
                        WAS IT FOR SPORT TOURING USE? I TAKE IT THAT THE STOCK REV LIMIT OF
                        6500 WAS MAINTAINED? TYPICALLY, THE HIGH FLOW EXHAUSTS ARE BETTER FOR
                        TOP END POWER MORE THAN MID RANGE, MAYBE THERE'S A DYNO CURVE I CAN
                        VIEW SOMEWHERE. I AM NOT OPPOSED TO SOME EXHAUST TONE, BUT IT GETS OLD
                        ON LONG RIDES, PLUS I DO LIKE TO BE STEALTHY AROUND THE GENDARMERIE.

                        > > My Monster, incidentally, had shorter gearing,
                        > jetting
                        > > with the airbox top removed and a K&N plate filter
                        > installed, along
                        > > with some pretty obnoxious carbon fiber
                        > "mufflers." It ran pretty
                        > > good, but not near as well as the STOCK X1.
                        > >

                        > Bigger engine. :)
                        > YEP. AIN'T IT GREAT? RUNS BETTER, AND GETS BETTER MILEAGE FROM A
                        LARGER GAS TANK. WHAT'S THE DOWNSIDE HERE? (HINT, THERE ISN'T ONE...)

                        > > I loved the way the X1 felt, and understand that
                        > belt replacement is
                        > > quite a bit easier, plus I like the way it looks
                        > better than the S3,
                        > > though of course the S3 might be more
                        > versatile/comfortable. I think
                        > > the X1 with a set of S3 (not "T") bars would about
                        > do it for me, as the
                        > > wrist angle is more straight and in line with my
                        > forearms, and a tad
                        > > higher. Also love the underseat storage for
                        > tools, flat kit, spare
                        > > gloves, etc.
                        >
                        > I am taking my X1 on a 2,000 mile round trip in 3
                        > weeks. It will do fine I
                        > am sure.
                        >
                        > I know you can change the bars to the S3 type.
                        >
                        > I have mostly eliminated the underseat storage with
                        > my fender modification.
                        > Have you looked over my web site?
                        > DON'T REMEMBER IT BUT I WILL. ARE YOU STILL RUNNING THE STOCK SEAT,
                        OR SOMETHING ELSE? THINK I'D KEEP THE STORAGE THOUGH, I'VE HAD TOO
                        MANY FLATS OVER THE YEARS, AND I'M USED TO HAVING TOOLS, FLAT KIT,
                        EXTRA GLOVES, ETC CLOSE AT HAND WITHOUT HAVING TO CLUTTER UP MY BAGS OR
                        TANK BAG. GREAT THAT YOU'RE DOING A 2000, LONGEST I'VE EVER GONE IS
                        ABOUT DOUBLE THAT, LA TO VANCOUVER BC, ON A BEEMER, WHICH RAN NO
                        PROBLEM AS YOU'D EXPECT.

                        > > Brilliant handler. Out here, we have the famous
                        > Angeles Crest Highway,
                        > > and the sales guy takes me for a test ride
                        > (briefly) there! I've never
                        > > felt any bike to be so natural to lean over, with
                        > such nice,
                        > > well-damped but not harsh suspension, with such
                        > great steering
                        > > feedback. I can tell that in the typical 40-110
                        > mph speed envelope I
                        > > am happiest in this thing would flat get with the
                        > program...if I can
                        > > trust it not to grenade itself.
                        >
                        > Yeah, I just love the cornering on this bike. It is
                        > a pure joy to ride in
                        > these here mountains of Colorado.
                        >
                        > I'VE ONLY SEEN SOME OF YOUR STATE, DID TOUR THERE LAST IN '93 NEAR
                        ASPEN/VAIL, STAYED IN GLENWOOD SPRINGS, GREAT LITTLE TOWN. EVERYONE
                        TELLS ME ABOUT DURANGO THOUGH...MAYBE I'LL GET TO SEE THE VINTAGE RACES
                        IN SALT LAKE THIS FALL, SINCE THEY MOVED THEM FROM THEIR LONGTIME SITE
                        IN STEAMBOAT. I UNDERSTAND THAT EVENT IS A GAS, ALL KINDS OF CROTCHETY
                        OLD BIKES FLAILING ABOUT.
                        > > What do you know about the roller rockers?
                        > >

                        > Nothing, except that they would be more efficient.
                        > Love to hear from you as you get a chance, and
                        > have a great Memorial
                        > > Day!
                        > >

                        > Thanks for writing. Sorry it took so long to get
                        > back.
                        >
                        > Take care and ride to live,
                        >
                        > Chris
                        > YOU DO THE SAME SIR. GLAD TO HAVE MADE YOUR ACQUAINTANCE, IF I DO
                        BUY THIS THING, X1 OR S3, I'LL HOOK UP WITH YOU ON A RIDE SOMETIME.
                        LET ME KNOW HOW YOUR TOUR GOES, IF YOU END UP HERE IN CALIFORNIA, I'LL
                        SHOW YOU SOME GREAT ROADS.

                        DAVID

                        > Got an opinion?
                        > http://www.onelist.com
                        > Make it count! Sign up for the ONElist Weekly
                        > Survey now.

                      • rx
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 31, 2003
                          Just thought I'd say HI, just joined. 2001 X1

                          On another note, anyone know how good the Buell racekit is for the X1?

                          later
                        • rx
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 31, 2003
                            Ok, I found your seach function... Now I just have to con the local
                            dealer into doing it for free. . . yeahh right! harley DEALERS don't
                            do anything for free. Oh how I wish the dealers were more like harley
                            davidson its self.

                            --- In Buell@yahoogroups.com, "rx" <rxc620@y...> wrote:
                            > Just thought I'd say HI, just joined. 2001 X1
                            >
                            > On another note, anyone know how good the Buell racekit is for the
                            X1?

                            > later
                          • Woowoo
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 31, 2003
                              Howdy, RX!
                              To meet EPA regulations, the Buells are overly restricted in stock
                              form, and their performance suffers as a result. To run as the Good Lord
                              Erik intended, they need to be modified! I have the Race ECM (highly
                              recommended), the K&N filter in a "gutted" airbox (would rather have a Force
                              intake or the Buell CF Oval intake) and a Supertrapp IDS muffler on the
                              stock header (would rather have the D&D full system, which reportedly makes
                              better power than the Buell Race header/muffler and doesn't need repacking).
                              The performance difference is very noticeable even though mine is not the
                              full Race Kit. Much smoother through the rev range, more "seat of the
                              pants" power and sounds infinitely better. My gas mileage suffered some
                              though. I'd get it! (or something comparable) ;-)

                              HellBuelly Jay
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hellbuellies/

                              "This is the way the world ends;
                              This is the way the world ends;
                              This is the way the world ends;
                              Not with a bang, but a wheelie."
                              --T.S1. Eliot

                              > Just thought I'd say HI, just joined. 2001 X1
                              >
                              > On another note, anyone know how good the Buell racekit is for the X1?
                              >
                              > later
                            • M.R. Abbott
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 31, 2003

                                dud you did get it from a HD/Buell dealer right

                                 rx <rxc620@...> wrote:

                                Ok, I found your seach function...   Now I just have to con the local
                                dealer into doing it for free. . . yeahh right!  harley DEALERS don't
                                do anything for free. Oh how I wish the dealers were more like harley
                                davidson its self.

                                --- In Buell@yahoogroups.com, "rx" <rxc620@y...> wrote:
                                > Just thought I'd say HI, just joined.  2001 X1
                                >
                                > On another note, anyone know how good the Buell racekit is for the
                                X1?

                                > later

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                              • barryvanderent
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 1 9:19 AM
                                  I have a 2000 Millenium X1 with the race kit....
                                  and it rocks!
                                  Since I have done just a few upgrades (though somewhat expensive) to
                                  my X1, I've practically forgotten about my 1999 F4 thats gathering
                                  dust in the garage.
                                • rx
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 1 9:56 AM
                                    Yeah, I really don't like the dealer I bought it from though. It's
                                    an agrument every time i take it there. The last was the drive belt,
                                    snapped on the highway at 60+ so I didn't have it.. all the service
                                    people said harley wouldn't warrenty it if I didn't have the belt,
                                    got him to call the buell/harley phone # and after 15 seconds they
                                    said to do it. . . by the way the bike had 2000mi. on it.

                                    I later found out that buell says its a .9 hour job. the dealer
                                    charges 1.5 hours...

                                    Thanks for the input everyone!
                                    --- In Buell@yahoogroups.com, "M.R. Abbott" <trumpet_320@y...> wrote:

                                    > dud you did get it from a HD/Buell dealer right
                                    > rx <rxc620@y...> wrote:Ok, I found your seach function... Now I
                                    just have to con the local
                                    > dealer into doing it for free. . . yeahh right! harley DEALERS
                                    don't
                                    > do anything for free. Oh how I wish the dealers were more like
                                    harley
                                    > davidson its self.
                                  • M.R. Abbott
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 1 5:24 PM

                                      you can take it to any other Buell dealer you like, i just did that to my m2 just last mouth, if any of you remeber the ??'s about the price of warrenty laber..

                                       rx <rxc620@...> wrote:

                                      Yeah, I really don't like the dealer I bought it from though.  It's
                                      an agrument every time i take it there.  The last was the drive belt,
                                      snapped on the highway at 60+ so I didn't have it.. all the service
                                      people said harley wouldn't warrenty it if I didn't have the belt,
                                      got him to call the buell/harley phone # and after 15 seconds they
                                      said to do it. . .  by the way the bike had 2000mi. on it.

                                      I later found out that buell says its a .9 hour job.  the dealer
                                      charges 1.5 hours...

                                      Thanks for the input everyone!
                                      --- In Buell@yahoogroups.com, "M.R. Abbott" <trumpet_320@y...> wrote:

                                      > dud you did get it from a HD/Buell dealer right
                                      >  rx <rxc620@y...> wrote:Ok, I found your seach function...   Now I
                                      just have to con the local
                                      > dealer into doing it for free. . . yeahh right!  harley DEALERS
                                      don't
                                      > do anything for free. Oh how I wish the dealers were more like
                                      harley
                                      > davidson its self.

                                      Do you Yahoo!?

                                    • M.R. Abbott

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 20, 2003
                                          I have not seen a post in 5 days? maybe it is just me and am i the
                                          last person on the face of the earth?

                                          OPHAWK
                                          98 S-1 Lighting
                                        • Lloyd
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 21, 2003
                                            I was noticing that this Yahoo group isn't nearly as "yacky" as the
                                            other groups I belong to. Maybe everyone's out riding, more likely
                                            Christmas shopping 8). Anybody fiddled with the old style shift
                                            linkage to take the slop out of it? I'm gonna play with this winter
                                            to see what can be done.

                                            ttfn, Lloydster
                                            doubleaughtm2

                                            -- In Buell@yahoogroups.com, "ask me" <ophawk@h...> wrote:
                                            > I have not seen a post in 5 days? maybe it is just me and am i the
                                            > last person on the face of the earth?
                                            >

                                            > OPHAWK
                                            > 98 S-1 Lighting
                                          • tdshepard1
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 21, 2003
                                              I just got my first Buell, a 1997 M2 Cyclone. I see that American Sport Bike
                                              wants $36 for bronze oil lite bushings to clean up the slop in stock
                                              shifters. I measured my plastic bushings and went to www.McMaster.com
                                              page 996 and see that I can order oil lite flanged bushings and thrust
                                              washers for about $3........but they would have to be reamed to fit.
                                              Take some measurements and see what you think, maybe we can fix our shifters
                                              on the cheap.
                                              Todd (beautiful riding weather in Mesa AZ today)

                                              > Anybody fiddled with the old style shift
                                              > linkage to take the slop out of it? I'm gonna play with this winter
                                              > to see what can be done.

                                            • ask me
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 21, 2003
                                                I know how you can take all that slop out. Do what i did and go buy
                                                your self the Banke shifter and brake, looks better and you will not
                                                by spending all winter trying to fine to that junk that came on it.

                                                OPHAWK 98 S-1 Lighting

                                                I just got my first Buell, a 1997 M2 Cyclone. I see that American
                                                Sport Bike wants $36 for bronze oil lite bushings to clean up the
                                                slop in stock shifters. I measured my plastic bushings and went to
                                                www.McMaster.com page 996 and see that I can order oil lite flanged
                                                bushings and thrust washers for about $3........but they would have
                                                to be reamed to fit. Take some measurements and see what you think,
                                                maybe we can fix our shifters on the cheap.
                                                Todd (beautiful riding weather in Mesa AZ today)

                                                Anybody fiddled with the old style shift linkage to take the slop
                                                out of it? I'm gonna play with this winter to see what can be done.
                                              • Nick Chiechi
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 21, 2003
                                                  < I measured my plastic bushings and went to
                                                  www.McMaster.com page 996 and see that I can order oil lite flanged
                                                  bushings and thrust washers for about $3>

                                                  Welcome aboard! You didn't happen to come from the Concours or the V-Strom list, did you? :)

                                                  See ya,
                                                  Nick
                                                • tdshepard1
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 22, 2003
                                                    No, I have been hanging out at the xl-sportster list. Really enjoying my
                                                    Cyclone, thanks for the welcome.
                                                    Todd, Mesa AZ

                                                    > Welcome aboard! You didn't happen to come from the Concours or the V-Strom
                                                    list, did you? :)
                                                  • Dan Sergison
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 22, 2003
                                                      I've been there, done the bushing thing. it works well.
                                                      I have a machne shop and so turned them on a lathe.

                                                      I would be willing to do it for others for a few bucks.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Dec 23, 2003
                                                        Hi Dan,
                                                        I'd be interested in your offer, let me know what cost would be.
                                                        We all don't have the spare $$ that OPHAWK has 8( , plus I kinda
                                                        like the looks of the overhead arm set-up(...call me strange)
                                                        Merry Christmas all!
                                                        Lloyd Doubleaught Cyclone

                                                        - In Buell@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Sergison" <dsergison@y...> wrote:
                                                        > I've been there, done the bushing thing. it works well.
                                                        > I have a machne shop and so turned them on a lathe.
                                                        >
                                                        > I would be willing to do it for others for a few bucks.
                                                        >

                                                        > --- In Buell@yahoogroups.com, "ask me" <ophawk@h...> wrote:
                                                        > > I know how you can take all that slop out. Do what i did and go
                                                        > buy
                                                        > > your self the Banke shifter and brake, looks better and you will
                                                        > not
                                                        > > by spending all winter trying to fine to that junk that came on
                                                        it.

                                                        > > OPHAWK 98 S-1 Lighting
                                                        > >

                                                        > > I just got my first Buell, a 1997 M2 Cyclone. I see that
                                                        American
                                                        > > Sport Bike wants $36 for bronze oil lite bushings to clean up
                                                        the
                                                        > > slop in stock shifters. I measured my plastic bushings and went
                                                        > > www.McMaster.com page 996 and see that I can order oil lite
                                                        flanged
                                                        > > bushings and thrust washers for about $3........but they would
                                                        have
                                                        > > to be reamed to fit. Take some measurements and see what you
                                                        think,
                                                        > > maybe we can fix our shifters on the cheap.
                                                        > > Todd (beautiful riding weather in Mesa AZ today)
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Anybody fiddled with the old style shift linkage to take the
                                                        slop
                                                        > > out of it? I'm gonna play with this winter to see what can be
                                                        done.
                                                      • William
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Dec 23, 2003
                                                          Hey all, I just wanted to take a moment to ask a
                                                          question in hopes of getting some good feedback.

                                                          I recently had my engine rebuilt and I've got some
                                                          parts left over which I'm considering selling on ebay.
                                                          I've got both jugs and heads (thunderstorm) off my S1
                                                          Lightning however the rear jug and piston are trashed.
                                                          The front jug, piston and head is in perfect shape
                                                          but has been bored 30 over. Do you all think anyone
                                                          would be interested in buying all this just for parts?

                                                          Any input would be greatly appreciated, and Merry
                                                          Christmas!

                                                          Will

                                                          http://photos.yahoo.com/
                                                        • tdshepard1@cox.net
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Dec 23, 2003
                                                            I am sure the thunderstorm heads will sell.
                                                            Todd

                                                          • ynotnunes@aol.com
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Dec 23, 2003
                                                              I didn't catch the beginning to this post but does someone have heads for sale.  I have a 98 buell s1w and am in need of a front head.  A bare one is fine.  I was the unfortunate recipient of an unlicensed and uninsured illegal immigrants front end pulling out in front of me and stopping.  If you have any info on heads please let me know.

                                                                               thanks   ynotnunes@...
                                                            • tdshepard1
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Dec 24, 2003
                                                                If you would click on the link on the bottom of each email to the yahoo
                                                                page, all the past messages are achieved there