SOTA Activation Alert: K0MOS on W0/PR-001 (Clark Peak - CO) on 7/3 - ~1800 UTC

  • dudelsack55
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012
      CO14 has reopened after the Highpark fire is now 100% contained. I am trying to access the Cameron Pass area though the Canyon to checkout my favorite play-ground. The time is my best estimate… it's a long drive and a long hike and who knows what kind of obstacles I will encounter through the Poudre Canyon. The time posted takes a few delays into account… I could be earlier than 18:00 UTC. Make sure to verify the summit reference when you talk to me, I have a few alternatives in case I cannot access Clark Pk.

      Summit: WØ/PR-ØØ1 (Clark Peak – CO)
      Date: 3 July 2012
      Time: Approx.: 1800 UTC – 19:00 UTC
      Location: N-Colorado / DN70ao
      Elevation: 3940 m / 12927 ft – 8 Point(s)
      Call Sign: KØMOS
      Frequencies: 14.3425-ssb +/- QRM / alt. freq.: 14.285-ssb

      If I have coverage, you can follow my progress via APRS: http://aprs.fi/info/a/K0MOS-7

      QRP (5W) only.
      Equip.: FT-817 and vertical Buddipole

      Keep your ears/antennas pointed towards Colorado.

      Thanks

      Matt / KØMOS
    • dudelsack55
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012
        Looks like another apology is in order - SORRY FOR THE SHORT ACTIVATION.

        This time my activation was not cut short by lightning, hail and rain but by the
        fact that my 'intermittent' antenna problem showed up again, and withing a few
        minutes was not intermittent but permanent.

        The hike took longer than expected... the 13.9 mi / 4850 ASL round trip was
        exhausting and I arrived later than announced. For those of you who climbed
        Longs Peak (a popular 14er)... Clark's Peak is about the same distance but more
        elevation gain.

        Luckily I had my first contact withing seconds, my 'IS THIS FREQUENCY IN USE'
        question was answered by Phil/NS7P with 'IT'S ALL YOURS' - Thanks Phil.

        I made more contacts within minutes before my FT-817 showed a HIGH SWR alert on
        the display. My attempts to find the problem on the antenna was without success.
        This is a recurring issue for me and I replaced almost every piece so far -
        during tests at my QTH it seems to work find - just acting up on summits (lack
        of oxygen maybe?).

        Looks like I have a project for today, getting to the bottom of the problem. A
        good excuse not to move too far and give my soar muscles and knees a break :)

        73 and thanks to all the chasers and spotters.

        Matt/KØMOS
      • HB9MTN, 5B5AGV
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012
          Matt,
          I had an 'intermittent' antenna problem last year with a vertical 20m BP due to a loose contact of the lower phillips screw, leaving the lower part of the coil open. My antenna analizer showed two peaks instead of one and both out of the 20m band.
          Check also the connections between the 3 terminals and the 3 female threads at the VersaTee.
          Ed

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012
            Thanks Ed, it's a coil issue. Tightening the screws on the coils gets rid of the issue (at least temorarely). After changing coils it's back again and disappears by tightening them further. At this point I am afraid of over tightening the screws. It seems as if the coil-clip I am using creates additional issues. Budd is sending replacement parts tomorrow - hope that will finally take care of things.

            Thanks again for your suggestions und en gruess nach Züri.

            Matt/KØMOS