Re: [Buddhism_101] Tibetan Book of The Dead

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
      Good morning Jade,

      You can also see some videos at YouTube on the topic at http://youtube.com/results?search_query=tibetan+book+of+the+dead&search_type= and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWdDE9m4Uq0 (I hope these URLs work). The History Channel aired a documentary that gave a good synopsis of the text a while ago. I haven't seen it since but I'm sure it will reappear in the future. It is, however, available for purchase at their website: http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=77180 .

      The "Tibetan Book of the Dead" (actual title "The Great Liberation by Hearing in the Intermediate States" [Bar-do thos-grol chen-mo in Tibetan]) "...came into existence in its present form in the fourteenth century, but its story goes back six hundred years before that" according to "Luminous Emptiness: Understanding the Tibetan Book of the Dead" (by Francesca Fremantle, Shambala Publications).

      The text was composed by Padmakara (better known in the West as Padmasambhava and also known as Guru Rinpoche) who was brought from India to teach in the first Tibetan Buddhist monastery. "Liberation by Hearing" became a hidden teaching or "terma" (treasure) since Padmakara realized the Tibetans were not ready for the teaching it contained. It was revealed at the appropriate time by its "terton" (revealer of treasure) Karma Lingpa.

      "Liberation by Hearing" is not meant only to be recited to the recently deceased or dying as one may assume. It is meant to be studied by the living as well in order to prepare for one's own death. This may seem macabre to Westerners but the admonition to Buddhists to meditate on death was taught in the sutras by Buddha Shakyamuni; even to the point of meditating in front of a corpse in its various stages of decomposition.

      If you decide to read the text, I'd suggest you obtain the "First Complete Translation: The Tibetan Book of the Dead" (translated by Gyurme Dorje, Penguin Books) instead of the more easily obtainable short versions (there's also an audio book version of the abbreviated version available that is read by Richard Gere). Be forewarned, it is not an "easy read" and will take some effort (and perhaps a commentary like Fremantle's text I mentioned earlier) in order to more fully appreciate it.

      May all be at peace.

      John

      You have to do your own work;
      Enlightened Ones will only show the way.
      Those who practise meditation
      will free themselves from the chains of death.
      (The Dhammapada 20:276)

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
        Hi Jade,

        The honest answer is that I don't know, because I've never read it !

        However a couple of books that I have recently read and fully
        recommend to all, are by the Zen Buddhist Master, Thich Nhat Hanh,
        they are:

        "Living Buddha, Living Jesus"

        "The Miracle of Mindfulness"

        Best Wiishes,

        Jenny

        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, SJ Garette <collies85@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > Yes I saw two different books called "Tibetan Book of The Dead", and
        I was wondering what it is, and if it is worth buying or looking
        into?  I saw them at Barnes and Nobles booksellers.

        > Many Blessings,
        >
        > Jade

        • Jody W. Ianuzzi
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
            Hi all,

            I actually got a call from Gallup asking me my opinion on the election,
            health care and religion. the religious question was "Do you consider
            yourself to be religious?" I said yes, then the pollster asked if I were
            Christian, Jewish, Muslim or other. I said other and he asked what. I said
            I was Buddhist. he said "Oh wow, so am I"

            How about that! There's more of us then people think.

            JODY
          • SJ Garette
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
              Thank you Jody I will check this out.

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
                Thank you John, the book sounds complicated which should keep me occupied.

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
                  Thank you Jenny I will check these two books out sounds interesting.

                  The honest answer is that I don't know, because I've never read it !

                  However a couple of books that I have recently read and fully
                  recommend to all, are by the Zen Buddhist Master, Thich Nhat Hanh,
                  they are:

                  "Living Buddha, Living Jesus"

                  "The Miracle of Mindfulness"

                  Best Wiishes,

                  Jenny

                  --- In Buddhism_101@ yahoogroups. com, SJ Garette <collies85@. ..> wrote:

                  > Hello All,
                  >
                  > Yes I saw two different books called "Tibetan Book of The Dead", and
                  I was wondering what it is, and if it is worth buying or looking
                  into?  I saw them at Barnes and Nobles booksellers.

                  > Many Blessings,
                  >
                  > Jade

                  Messages in this topic (4) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                  Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database

                • SJ Garette
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
                    Thank you Jenny I will check these two books out sounds interesting.

                    The honest answer is that I don't know, because I've never read it !

                    However a couple of books that I have recently read and fully
                    recommend to all, are by the Zen Buddhist Master, Thich Nhat Hanh,
                    they are:

                    "Living Buddha, Living Jesus"

                    "The Miracle of Mindfulness"

                    Best Wiishes,

                    Jenny

                    --- In Buddhism_101@ yahoogroups. com, SJ Garette <collies85@. ..> wrote:

                    > Hello All,
                    >
                    > Yes I saw two different books called "Tibetan Book of The Dead", and
                    I was wondering what it is, and if it is worth buying or looking
                    into?  I saw them at Barnes and Nobles booksellers.

                    > Many Blessings,
                    >
                    > Jade

                    Messages in this topic (4) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                    Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database

                    Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Group

                  • SJ Garette
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008

                    • trinity5048@yahoo.com