Re: I'm new here

  • nancy lemke
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
      ---
      yes, i do meditate....no special way..more of my own way i guess.
      have picked up different ways along my path. i am a reiki master and
      do a lot of what i learned in my classes for meditation. it helps me
      a great deal with the 24/7 chronic pain that i deal with. also, helps
      to keep me calm to deal w/life! haha. i do prefer Tibeten as most of
      my reading has been in that direction. i went to australia 2 years
      ago for a visit w/my soul sister. she and her partner took me to a
      temple there. most of the monks and the priest were from sri lanka. i
      had the wonderful to have time w/the priest. we also went into the
      temple and said prayers. very lovely. my husband and i are going
      again to australia this june and i hope to see another one this time.
      last time being in the temple and time w/the priest was a life
      changing experience for me. one i will never forget. hugs, nancy

      In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, vorian@m... wrote:
      > Nancy,
      >
      > Sorry, about that. Not being familiar with New Orleans at all, I
      thought a couple would be accessable for you, at least. Buddhist
      Centers are quite often in dangerous parts of cities for a couple of
      reasons. Lack of money to move them to better areas, and that is
      where the work of the dharma would do the most good.

      > Perhaps, we can help you out on this list. Certainly, your
      questions are always welcome. Someone, here, usually, can answer.

      > Have you picked Tibeten as a preference, or a convienience? Do you
      meditate, and what types of meditations are you doing?

      > There are many websites on that we can lead you to, to help your
      practice. It is, of course, always better to have a teacher as a
      guide. But it is not impossible to progress yourself.
      > Yours, in the Dharma,
      > Ken/

      DeSaix
      > > Blvd. off Wisner near the City Park Art museum a Lama from Napal
      > > lives there.
      > > >
      > > > A Kadampa Buddhist Center:
      > > > http://www.rameshori.com/locations_neworleans.html
      > > >
      > > > The American Zen Association/New Orleans
      > > > http://www.nozt.org/index.shtml
      > > >
      > > > And these:
      > > >
      > > > The Dharma Center of New Orleans
      > > > 5811 Tchoupitoulas
      > > > 897-5357
      > > >
      > > > Dhongak Tharling Dharma Center ph.: 948-6721
      > > > [Himalayan Buddhist Dharma Center: tharling@i...]
      > > >
      > > > The Tibetan Nuns of Khachoe Ghakyil Nunnery, Nepal (Photos of
      their
      > > visit to Loyola University)
      > > >

      > > > Lotus Lake Drikung Kagyu Dharma Center
      > > > Contact info: Greg Eveline 528-9374
      > > >

      > > > Zen Center of New Orleans
      > > > 748 Camp St., New Orleans LA
      > > > Tel. 1: (+1-504) 523-1213; Fax: (+1-504) 523-7024
      > > > Contact: Jesse Haasch E-mail: aza@g...
      > > >

      > > > Blue Iris Sangha - Monday evening meditation sessions
      > > > 2419 Chartres, NOLA email: 75716.1124@c...
      > > >
      > > > Chua Bo De Buddhist Temple (Vietnamese Buddhism) Sunday visit,
      1999
      > > > Contact: Shawn Nguyen ph. 464-9432 and 414-2241
      > > > Algiers (West Bank) directions
      > > >

      > > > These all sound good, but I, of course, recommend the Drikung
      Kagyu
      > > Center as I am connected with one of that tradition, here, and
      they
      > > are great people who enjoy helping "stream enterers".
      > > >
      > > > Hope these help,
      > > > Ken/

      These
      > > are
      Gotama
      > > (http://triple_gem.tripod.com/buddhism/index.html).

      Noble

      > > be
      > > higher

      > > find
      > > creator,
      > > that
      > > the

      Non-
      > > Buddhism

      > > life

      > > of
      > > is
      > > actually,
      > > the

      Birth
      > > in
      > > birth,
      > > are

    • nancy lemke
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
        ---
        thanks so much for your help. will give it a try..hugs, nancy

        In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "papsx5" <papillon@s...> wrote:
        > You might still try contacting some of the Buddhist centers near
        > you. When I initially found the center I belong to it was located
        in
        > a bad part of the nearest large city (Baltimore) far from the
        subway
        > and would have been quite a drive, however I found that they offer
        > weekly classes in a number of outlying areas, one of which was only
        > 15 miles away and in a safe area; we meet at a Quaker church. They
        > also offer "correspondence" classes for those who cannot attend
        > scheduled classes. I also discovered that another member lived
        > within a mile of my house! I am able to call there and speak to
        one
        > of the monks or email them whenever I need guidance or just to
        talk.
        > I think you will find that most Buddhist centers will do whatever
        it
        > takes to help you.
        >
        > Susan
      • Doug Yelmen
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
          Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: I'm new here
          welcome,
          though i am fairly new here too.
          ken is a friend of mine, and a
          thoughtful one. but, I was
          here first by at least a couple
          of weeks. ha ha.

          i am a reiki master too.
          i also am drawn to
          tibetan buddhism.
          according to diane stein,
          there is a tibetan influence
          to reiki. don't remember
          much about it. but, doesn't
          surprise me either.
          i also like zen.

          i pick and choose what works
          for me,
          and for that matter am
          still a christian.

          i do chants. that has
          helped me a lot.
          nichiren, though
          i don't care for what
          i have seen at
          the "services". i still
          like the chant.
          i also do
          om mani padmi hum (hung).
          i use seed mantras for
          others when i am doing
          long distant healing,
          and sometimes for myself.
          i have thomas ashley-
          farrand's book and mantra
          therapy CD. the book is
          interesting.
          i am a fan of jon
          kabat-zinn, and havce
          his mindfullness meditation.
          am a big fan of thich nhat
          hahn, ever if i will never
          ever spell his name right.

          there is a shambala center
          near here i hope to visit
          one day.

          peace,
          doug

          ---
          yes, i do meditate....no special way..more of my own way i guess.
          have picked up different ways along my path. i am a reiki master and
          do a lot of what i learned in my classes for meditation. it helps me
          a great deal with the 24/7 chronic pain that i deal with. also, helps
          to keep me calm to deal w/life! haha.  i do prefer Tibeten as most of
          my reading has been in that direction. i went to australia 2 years
          ago for a visit w/my soul sister. she and her partner took me to a
          temple there. most of the monks and the priest were from sri lanka. i
          had the wonderful to have time w/the priest. we also went into the
          temple and said prayers. very lovely. my husband and i are going
          again to australia this june and i hope to see another one this time.
          last time being in the temple and time w/the priest was a life
          changing experience for me. one i will never forget. hugs, nancy

          In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, vorian@m... wrote:
          > Nancy,
          >
          > Sorry, about that. Not being familiar with New Orleans at all, I
          thought a couple would be accessable for you, at least. Buddhist
          Centers are quite often in dangerous parts of cities for a couple of
          reasons. Lack of money to move them to better areas, and that is
          where the work of the dharma would do the most good.

          > Perhaps, we can help you out on this list. Certainly, your
          questions are always welcome. Someone, here, usually, can answer.

          > Have you picked Tibeten as a preference, or a convienience? Do you
          meditate, and what types of meditations are you doing?

          > There are many websites on that we can lead you to, to help your
          practice. It is, of course, always better to have a teacher as a
          guide. But it is not impossible to progress yourself.
          > Yours, in the Dharma,
          > Ken/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          --

          "Irony is the courtesy of despair."
        • nancy lemke
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 11, 2004
            ---
            hi doug and welcome. my husband and i went to france last new
            years...i looked up Nich tach hahn retreat home and i wanted so much
            to go for a visit but we were in Nice and too far east to go. we were
            only there for a week and didn't have the time to travel that far. i
            too enjoy his books and have learned so much from him. he has a yahoo
            group on line also...but no posting,,,just very old scripts of his
            teachings. hugs, nancy

            <http://www.nozt.org/index.shtml>http://www.nozt.org/index.shtml

            (<http://triple_gem.tripod.com/buddhism/index.html).>http://triple_gem

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 11, 2004
              Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: I'm new here
              ---

              i am sorry you couldn't make it.
              i will sign up for his group.
              he has helped me a lot.
              peace,
              doug

              <
              http://www.nozt.org/index.shtml>http://www.nozt.org/index.shtml
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > > And these:
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > > The Dharma Center of New Orleans
              > >>  > > 5811 Tchoupitoulas
              > >>  > > 897-5357
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > > Dhongak Tharling Dharma Center ph.: 948-6721
              > >>  > > [Himalayan Buddhist Dharma Center: tharling@i...]
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > > The Tibetan Nuns of Khachoe Ghakyil Nunnery, Nepal (Photos
              of
              > >their
              > >>  > visit to Loyola University)
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > > Lotus Lake Drikung Kagyu Dharma Center
              > >>  > > Contact info: Greg Eveline 528-9374
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > > Zen Center of New Orleans
              > >>  > > 748 Camp St., New Orleans LA
              > >>  > > Tel. 1: (+1-504) 523-1213; Fax: (+1-504) 523-7024
              > >>  > > Contact: Jesse Haasch E-mail: aza@g...
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > > Blue Iris Sangha - Monday evening meditation sessions
              > >>  > > 2419 Chartres, NOLA email: 75716.1124@c...
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > > Chua Bo De Buddhist Temple (Vietnamese Buddhism) Sunday
              visit,
              > >1999
              > >>  > > Contact: Shawn Nguyen ph. 464-9432 and 414-2241
              > >>  > > Algiers (West Bank) directions
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > > These all sound good, but I, of course, recommend the
              Drikung
              > >Kagyu
              > >>  > Center as I am connected with one of that tradition, here, and
              > >they
              > >>  > are great people who enjoy helping "stream enterers".
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > > Hope these help,
              > >>  > > Ken/
              > >>  > >
              > >>  > >

              (<
> [...]
              > >>  > > > lighting a candle from another candle. Is that the same
              flame
              > >on
              > >>  > the
              > >>  > > > second candle? No, it was started, though, as a continuum
              of
              > >the
              > >>  > > > energy of the first.).
              > >>  > > > >
              > >>  > > > > Yes, there are heavens and hells and places in between.
              > >Birth
              > >>  > in
              > >>  > > > any of these are possible to the unenlightened mind, and
              your
              > >>  > birth,
              > >>  > > > there, is due to Karma or past deeds and actions. None of
              > >them
              > >>  > are
              > >>  > > > permanent or forever. Birth as a human is the best birth

              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buddhism_101/>http://groups.yahoo.com/
              group/Buddhism_101/

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.