Re: Four Noble Truths

  • josephpeek
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2008
      Ken

      I've been reading "In the Buddha's Words - An Anthology of Discourses
      from the Pali Canon", edited by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Each chapter contains
      an introduction, and Bhikkhu Bodhi provides excellent definitions and
      explanations of both the Pali and Sanskrit terms used.

      I hope you and others find this information beneficial.

      Joe

      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@...> wrote:

      > Thanks very much for this, John. Very informative. And I love this
      > kind of thing. From other studies I learned that translations are
      > nearly always fraught with misunderstandings. So it's great to
      > understand the original terms... insofar as this is possible if one
      > isn't well acquainted with the language. If anyone knows of a book
      or
      > text of any kind which delves into the understanding of the original
      > terms a little more-- the original Pali or Sanskrit-- please let me
      know.

      > Also, on the same theme: a couple months ago I watched a video of a
      > Buddhist lecture which was fascinating on several counts, one of
      which
      > was that the buddhist (didn't say whether Pali or Sanskrit) term
      > translated into "meditation" is the same word used
      for "concentration".
      > The lecturer (a Tibetan Buddhist monk whose name I missed) went on
      > explain that "concentration" can be done voluntarily or
      involuntarily.
      > That is, a person can be angry about something all day... and into
      the
      > next day and that this is a kind of (involuntary) concentration.
      The
      > way the monk explained this was much better than I'm able to relate
      > here-- and quite humorous too. The audience (in the video and at
      the
      > meeting where the video was shown) was cracking up. It was really
      very
      > good in a lot of ways. It opened up an understanding that an
      > "attachment" may well be a kind of meditation, albeit not one we
      have
      > any control over.
      >

      > - --
      > The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
      > same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
      > -- Albert Einstein
      >

      > On 09/09/2008 06:35 PM John Pellecchia wrote:
      > >

      > > Good evening Jade,
      > >
      > > The core teaching of Buddhism is expressed in The Four Noble
      Truths:
      > > that suffering (the term is "dukkha" which some translate
      as "suffering"
      > > but does not fully explain the term which is more subtle) exists.
      > >
      > > "Dukkha is a multi-faceted word. Its literal meaning is 'that
      which is
      > > difficult to bear'. It can mean suffering, stress, pain, anguish,
      > > affliction or unsatisfactoriness. Each of the English words is
      either
      > > too strong or too weak in their meaning to be a universally
      successful
      > > translation. Dukkha can be gross or very subtle. From extreme
      physical
      > > and mental pain and torment to subtle inner conflicts and
      existential
      > > malaise." (from http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/8foldpath.htm
      > > <http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/8foldpath.htm> )
      > >
      > > As it was explained to me, dukkha really implies "out of
      balance"; like
      > > a bicycle wheel with the spokes not properly adjusted. When the
      spokes
      > > are not properly adjusted, some too tight or too loose, a bicycle
      wheel
      > > is said to be "out of true" (out of round) and it wobbles. This
      dukkha,
      > > this being "out of balance", exists in life; that the cause of
      dukkha is
      > > attachment (sometimes referred to as "ignorance" or "desire");
      that it
      > > is possible to end dukkhaâ€"that the end to dukkha is attained by
      > > self-improvement by following The Eightfold Path (Right View,
      Right
      > > Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right
      Effort,
      > > Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration).
      > >
      > > If you follow my analogy of the spokes on a bicycle wheel, the
      Buddhist
      > > Dharmachakra is an eight-spoked wheel and is a widely recognized
      symbol
      > > of a Buddhist. Each of the Dharmachakra spokes represents one
      part of
      > > the Eightfold Path. If any of these "spokes" are not adjusted
      properly,
      > > the wheel is "out of true" and it (the mind) will wobble.
      > >
      > > May all be at peace.
      > >
      > > John
      > >
      > > Whatever joy there is in this world
      > > All comes from desiring others to be happy,
      > > And whatever suffering there is in this world
      > > All comes from desiring myself to be happy.
      > > ~SHANTIDEVA

      Truths to