Re: Intro

  • dave_wdmn
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 10, 2008
      "Buddhism Is Not What You Think by Steve Hagen is a good intro
      book with explanations of some of the language of Buddhism. Here is a
      quote
      from that book that sums up why I am so drawn to Buddhism:

      " ... Buddhadharma is not about believing things .. .. It's a religious
      tradition that dates back twenty-five hundred years, but it's not a
      belief
      system. Indeed, any teaching or practice or tradition designed to draw
      our
      attention to Truth cannot be based in belief. It can't be about buying
      into
      concepts. It can only be about examining, testing, and knowing the
      actual,
      immediate, direct experience of this moment."

      Yes indeed, and this is a thing that can be found mainly outside of
      dogmatic orthodox religions and in may philosophies. It is about life as
      it is and living it and loving it to its fullest.

      Dave.

      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "BRIDGET CUDDIE" <bridget@...>
      wrote:

      > There are a lot of intro type books out there now. There is Buddhism
      With
      > An Attitude whose author I can't remember. Anything by Pema Chodron is
      very
      > user friendly. Buddhist Wisdom by Edward Conze, a translation and
      > explanation of the Diamond Sutra and the Heart Sutra. It is quite
      small and
      > very full. Buddhism Is Not What You Think by Steve Hagen is a good
      intro
      > book with explanations of some of the language of Buddhism. Here is a
      quote
      > from that book that sums up why I am so drawn to Buddhism:
      >

      > " ... Buddhadharma is not about believing things .. .. It's a
      religious
      > tradition that dates back twenty-five hundred years, but it's not a
      belief
      > system. Indeed, any teaching or practice or tradition designed to draw
      our
      > attention to Truth cannot be based in belief. It can't be about buying
      into
      > concepts. It can only be about examining, testing, and knowing the
      actual,
      > immediate, direct experience of this moment."
      >

      > There is also a good book that I have put down and picked up a few
      times
      > called Buddhism A Way of Life and Thought by Nancy Wilson Ross. Also,
      of
      > course, a two inch thick paperback named The Wisdom of Thich Nhat
      Hanh, by
      > himself. I continue to enjoy all of these books. They are, to be
      honest,
      > more at my level of understanding. Trying to read the Sutras are like
      > reading the Bible. Puts me to sleep.
      >

      > Bridget
      >

      > "Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at
      different
      > speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing."
      > --William James

    • Skye
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 17, 2009
        Hello all, my name's Skye and I'm new to the group and currently seeking a dharma teacher in my area(there's one a few towns away, I live in Maui,Hawaii). Any suggestions and guidelines on how to first approach a potential teacher? I'm not sure if there's a traditional way to ask for teachings etc. Thank you for allowing me to join the group, and a big hello to all!
      • michael
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 17, 2009
          Hello skye,

          Welcome to the group.  It may differ from school to school with my lineage, Sakya, it is encouraged you connect with a teacher you feel a karmic connection with.  In other words you see a group of lama's and you feel an overwhelming need to meet one in particular.  This is a good place to start because it is said this is the teacher whom will help you most of all.  However, in lieu of this connection it is perfectly fine to speak to available teachers.

          Before enlightenment, chop wood carry water.
          After enlightenment, chop wood carry water.
          Michael

          Hello all, my name's Skye and I'm new to the group and currently seeking a dharma teacher in my area(there's one a few towns away, I live in Maui,Hawaii) . Any suggestions and guidelines on how to first approach a potential teacher? I'm not sure if there's a traditional way to ask for teachings etc. Thank you for allowing me to join the group, and a big hello to all!

        • Jane Harper
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 17, 2009
            My Gelugpa group encourages students to research any potential teacher thoroughly before making any lasting connections (refuge, pratimoksha vows, empowerments). The teachings say that we must be able and willing to see all our teachers as Buddha, even those from whom we receive only one sentence.

            Jane

            -----
            Typed with two thumbs on my iPhone