Re: [Buddhism_101] Bodihisattva

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 3:14 AM
      Good morning, Loriyn.

      There are two websites I would like you to read first to see if they answer your questions. You may click on the following hyperlinks: http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/practice_material/vows/bodhisattva/root_bodhisattva_pledges.html and http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/practice_material/vows/bodhisattva/secondary_bodhisattva_pledges.html . They may contain the answers or at least give us a common point of reference. In The Preliminary Practice of Vajrasattva (available from http://www.fpmt.org/shop/ ) it is stated "Most spiritual practitioners have taken vows and commitments as part of their religious practice. Those who lack wisdom feel that when they have broken some of their promises, they have done something irreversibly negative and become permanent sinners....That's a big misconception."

      May all be at peace.

      John

      With good will for the entire cosmos,
      cultivate a limitless heart:
      Above, below, and all around,
      unobstructed, without hostility or hate.

      (Sutta Nipata I, 8)

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 7:32 AM
        One of the best descriptions lately I've heard of vows is that they are
        guides for keeping you on the path. They're not meant to deprive us of
        anything or to make us feel sinful, but rather to help get us in touch with
        who we really are.

        Once practitioner cited by Brad Warner on his blog described the bodhisattva
        vow as, first and foremost, a vow to help other people by saving them *from
        himself*. I like that. I know that the foremost thing I can do to help
        others at this point is to keep a close eye on my own reactivity, to be like
        wood and not lash out in anger when the urge arises. And that in itself may
        prove to be enough work in this lifetime. We shall see.

        With Love and Laughter,

        -J-

        On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:14 AM, John Pellecchia <pellejf@...> wrote:

        > Good morning, Loriyn.
        >
        > There are two websites I would like you to read first to see if they
        > answer your questions. You may click on the following hyperlinks:
        > http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/practice_material/vows/bodhisattva/root_bodhisattva_pledges.htmland
        > http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/practice_material/vows/bodhisattva/secondary_bodhisattva_pledges.html. They may contain the answers or at least give us a common point of
        > reference. In The Preliminary Practice of Vajrasattva (available from
        > http://www.fpmt.org/shop/ ) it is stated "Most spiritual practitioners
        > have taken vows and commitments as part of their religious practice. Those
        > who lack wisdom feel that when they have broken some of their promises, they
        > have done something irreversibly negative and become permanent
        > sinners....That's a big misconception."
        >
        > May all be at peace.
        >
        > John
        >
        > With good will for the entire cosmos,
        > cultivate a limitless heart:
        > Above, below, and all around,
        > unobstructed, without hostility or hate.
        >
        > (Sutta Nipata I, 8)

        Jay Andrew Allen

        They who knowing not whither they themselves are bound,
        Yet presume to pose as guides for others,
        Do injury both to themselves and others.

        - Milarepa