Re: purification

  • snow_chaty
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2008
      --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "abdulmatin10" <abdulmatin10@...>
      wrote:

      > greetings to those who have not heard from me lately.
      > a sincere question:
      > why does there seem to be so many purification practices in indo-
      > tibetan buddhism? we have prostrations to 35 confession buddhas,
      > vajrasattva practice, then the lamas seem to attribute so many
      > purificatory attributes of the various sadhnas, i.e. medicine buddha,
      > shakyamuni, etc..
      > any thoughts?
      > peace,
      > dwain

      I would guess that it is because we have all accumulated so much
      negativity and bad habits over the course of many, many lifetimes.
      We continue to do so because we are not familiar with ultimate reality
      but take our feelings etc to be absolute reality, so it is necessary to
      clean up our bad habits in order to purify our mindstream
      Well that is my understanding of it anyway, hope that helps