Re: [Buddhism_101] Today 5 EST-Webcast -Palyul - Khenchen Tsewang Gyatso Rinpoche

  • danielle wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2007
      Hi Lauren,

      Rinpoche is a name for a teacher. It is a very high honor. Kinda like in the catholic church the nuns go by sister mary, sister nancy ect.

      Danielle Benson
      www.satorireflections.com

      Lauren Merryfield <lauren1@...> wrote:
      Hi,
      Why are there so many Buddhist teachers named Rinpoche? Are they related?
      Thanks
      Lauren
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2007
        "Rinpoche" (or "Rimpoche") means "Treasured One". I.e., it's an honorific.

        On 12/14/2007 08:49 PM Lauren Merryfield wrote:
        > Hi,
        > Why are there so many Buddhist teachers named Rinpoche? Are they related?
        > Thanks
        > Lauren

        Thou shalt not molest a stranger, nor afflict him: for
        yourselves also were strangers in the land of Egypt.
        --Exodus 22:21
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2007
          Okay, according to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinpoche>, "rinpoche"
          means "precious one". I should have looked there first.