Commentary -> Ceasing of Suffering!
- Summary/Commentary: This is the Third Noble Truth (of the four truths, the pure essence and core of Buddhism). All suffering can be ended by completely abandoning craving, the cause of suffering. This can be done right here and now, in this very world we live in surrounded by pleasurable things. In the past, present and also in the future to come, those who abandoned craving did so by contemplating and understanding that all pleasurable things in this world are:
i) Impermanent and subject to change (anicca)...
ii) ...as therefore causing suffering, stress, pain, unsatisfactoriness (dukkha)...
iii) ...and as therefore being unsuitable to be considererd as me, mine, part of me, belonging to me, being of self (anatta)...
Dependant Origination/Law of Causality (With X as a condition Y arises, with Y as a condition Z arises, and so on...)
* When craving ends, clinging also comes to an end (as clinging arises dependant on craving as the condition)
* When clinging ends, becoming also comes to an end (as becoming arises dependant on clinging as the condition)
* When becoming ends, birth also comes to an end (as birth arises dependant on becoming as the condition)
* When birth ends, suffering also comes to an end (as suffering arises dependant on birth as the condition).
All suffering including decay, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair all come to and when birth is stopped. So by not being re-born one is no longer subject to suffer!
This is the final goal (Nibbana), the elimination of all suffering through the ending of never ending re-birth, which itself is ended by ending becoming, which itself is ended by ending clinging, which itself is ended by the ending of craving! Craving is ended by contemplating that all pleasurable things are i) impermanent (anicca), ii) and as therefore causing suffering (dukkha) iii) and as therefore not mine, part of me, or me (anatta).
May you end craving...re-birth...suffering!
May you attain to Nibbana!
----- Original Message ----
From: Bhikkhu Samahita <bhikkhu0@...>
Sent: Thursday, 1 November, 2007 3:47:51 PM
Subject: Buddha-Direct 985: Ceasing of Suffering!
Ceasing of all Craving is the Ceasing of all Suffering!
The Blessed Buddha once said:
What, now, is this Noble Truth on the Elimination of all Suffering?
It is a complete fading away & irreversible elimination of all Craving,
the rejection & leaving of it, & the liberating release from it! SN 56:11
But where may this craving vanish, where may it be extinguished?
Wherever in the world there are delightful and pleasurable things!
Right there & then may this craving be overcome, quenched & vanish...
Be it in the past, present, or any future, whatever recluse or monk
considers all delightful, attractive, & pleasurable things in this world
as impermanent anicca, miserable dukkha, & without a self anatta,
as diseases & as cancers, it is they who conquer craving... SN 12:66
By final fading away and elimination of craving, clinging also ceases;
By the elimination of clinging, the process of becoming also ceases;
By the elimination of the process of becoming, rebirth also ceases;
Through the elimination of all rebirth, is all decay, ageing & death!,
sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair finally extinguished...
Only that is the eradication of this entire mass of Suffering...
On the irreversible & final ceasing of all pain:
Ceasing of Suffering is Ni bb âna!
Friendship is the Greatest J
Bhikkhu Samahita ] Sri Lanka [
Related Buddhist Site: http://What-Buddha-Said.net
Message emails to: Buddha-Direct@...
Unsubscribe by email to: Buddha-Direct-unsubscribe@...
Edit your membership to normal email, summary, digest or no email at:
May all beings become thus Happy!
Friendship is the GREATEST!
Have a Nice Day!
National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. Download your gamecard now at Yahoo!7 TV. http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/national-bingo-night/
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]