Commentary -> Ceasing of Suffering!

  • R. K. Wijayaratne
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      Summary/Commentary: This is the Third Noble Truth (of the four truths, the pure essence and core of Buddhism). All suffering can be ended by completely abandoning craving, the cause of suffering. This can be done right here and now, in this very world we live in surrounded by pleasurable things. In the past, present and also in the future to come, those who abandoned craving did so by contemplating and understanding that all pleasurable things in this world are:

      i) Impermanent and subject to change (anicca)...

      ii) ...as therefore causing suffering, stress, pain, unsatisfactoriness (dukkha)...

      iii) ...and as therefore being unsuitable to be considererd as me, mine, part of me, belonging to me, being of self (anatta)...

      Dependant Origination/Law of Causality (With X as a condition Y arises, with Y as a condition Z arises, and so on...)

      * When craving ends, clinging also comes to an end (as clinging arises dependant on craving as the condition)

      * When clinging ends, becoming also comes to an end (as becoming arises dependant on clinging as the condition)

      * When becoming ends, birth also comes to an end (as birth arises dependant on becoming as the condition)

      * When birth ends, suffering also comes to an end (as suffering arises dependant on birth as the condition).

      All suffering including decay, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair all come to and when birth is stopped. So by not being re-born one is no longer subject to suffer!

      This is the final goal (Nibbana), the elimination of all suffering through the ending of never ending re-birth, which itself is ended by ending becoming, which itself is ended by ending clinging, which itself is ended by the ending of craving! Craving is ended by contemplating that all pleasurable things are i) impermanent (anicca), ii) and as therefore causing suffering (dukkha) iii) and as therefore not mine, part of me, or me (anatta).

      May you end craving...re-birth...suffering!

      May you attain to Nibbana!