Re: [Buddhism_101] Re: Meditation

  • Thubten
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
      Lama Zopa Rinpoche says the dirt must come out!

      I am pretty impressed you can clear your mind. For how long can you do
      that? I think my ability is approximately 5 seconds where I can clear my
      mind, and it's usually if I am very tired and between the awake world and
      the sleep world.

      The adept meditators are now being studied by the science community and
      preliminary findings are that they use more of their brain than most humans,
      yet, they are able to concentrate on either one or no object for countless
      periods of time. The mind is very spacious, as large as the universe. I am
      in awe.

      Victoria
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 3, 2007
        There is a book, called "You Are Psychic: The Art of Clairvoyant
        Reading & Healing" by Debra Lynne Katz I never would have believed in
        a million years that such theories were possible, and thought they
        were only the thoughts of a deluded or ill mind. But, something
        happened in my life, and caused me to be more aware on these "other"
        theories. We have all had circumstances with "I just thought of you
        when the phone rang" It happens everyday. I have had situations where
        I have been meditating, and I could "hear" a person driving through
        town, "thinking" about their destination, or what road they should
        turn down from the highway.

        **Insidently, it has been this phenominum, that brought me to
        Buddhism.

        --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "theseitzies" <lzx8ml@...> wrote:

        > I am curious....has anyone heard of people whom meditate alot
        > experiencing some extra sencory perception as a result? I have
        always
        > thought that the mind is a very powerful tool. One that we have not
        > even begun to understand and explore. It would seem to me, that
        > people who spend so much time trying to focus and understand the
        mind,
        > would be in a posistion to touch on some of those mysteries.
        >
        > I do not know if I truly believe in psychic ability. My sister-in-
        > law works as a Phychic Detective all over the USA. She has solved a
        > few different missing persons cases, and even a murder. But I am
        > still a bit of a sceptic.
        >
        > Tracie

      • theseitzies
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
          Never really timed it...little segments of time here and there. I
          have had the best results during Yoga Nidra. I almost feel drunk
          when I come out of it! So relaxed that my hole body feels like Jell-
          O! Its wonderful!
          I actually started studying Buddhism because I was diagnosed as
          having Attention Deficit Disorder. I am a compulsive overeater as a
          result, and I wanted a way to learn to focus my mind without drugs.
          Of coarse as I studied I realized that Buddhism is so much
          more...but all that I ever wanted to be as a person. I have been
          hooked ever since. Unfortunately, as I have mentioned in previous
          posts, my focus comes and goes. I am just hoping that over time the
          time I spend in a Buddhist mindset grows, and the times distracted
          will lessen.

          Date:
          > > 8/31/2007
          > >> >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > > --
          8/31/2007
          > > 5:21 PM

        • snow_chaty
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 8, 2007
            --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "calaquinsti" <calaquinsti@...>
            wrote:

            Hello

            the techniques are the same whether you learn meditation for your
            health or for practice so you do need to find a qualified
            teacher/meditation group. Trying to teach yourself from a book or CD
            wilwill not get you anywhere I think

            There are lots of resources out there, i don't know where you live but
            I would advice you to investigate a bit before joining a specific group
            as there are some teachers/groups which might not be suitable for you

            buddhanet.net lists a lot of groups worldwide
            good luck

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 8, 2007
              It's hard to make a blanket statement that a person cannot learn
              meditation just from reading. In effect, saying that "it's not possible
              to learn meditation from a book" is the same as saying "no one has ever
              learned meditation from a book." Many Buddhist lamas have written books
              on how to meditate and I'm sure they wrote in the belief that it was
              possible to learn this skill from their book or essay.

              Personally, I've learned a lot about meditation from reading, much more
              in fact, than from the classes I've had. Books and other writings go
              into much more detail and depth than any of the classes I've attended.
              When reading I can review what the book says. I can stop and go back
              and reread a page or paragraph if I don't understand it completely the
              first time. In a class I can't really stop the instructor and tell
              him/her to go back one paragraph and start over. If all the students in
              the class did that, the class would not be very effective.

              If I could sit down with a Buddhist lama by myself and have him teach
              me, I would love that. But so would a lot of people. And why should
              the lama choose me as a student above all the others...? especially if
              I've never bothered to read anything and try to educate myself?

              Finally, it's been true of every meditation class I've attended that the
              instructor, without prompting from anyone, has recommended to the class
              a book to read concerning meditation. Like the lamas who write such
              books, they must believe there's benefit to be had from reading.

              Just my $0.02.

              On 09/08/2007 04:04 AM somebody named snow_chaty wrote:
              > --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, "calaquinsti" <calaquinsti@...>
              > wrote:
              >>

              > Hello
              >
              > the techniques are the same whether you learn meditation for your
              > health or for practice so you do need to find a qualified
              > teacher/meditation group. Trying to teach yourself from a book or CD
              > wilwill not get you anywhere I think
              >
              > There are lots of resources out there, i don't know where you live but
              > I would advice you to investigate a bit before joining a specific group
              > as there are some teachers/groups which might not be suitable for you
              >
              > buddhanet.net lists a lot of groups worldwide
              > good luck
              >> Hello!
              >> Im new to this group and are lokking for safe "starters" meditation
              >> technics, does anyone have some information about how to do a safe
              >> meditation pratice whitout going on a meditation course? Im looking
              >> for meditation for wellness, not so advanced pratice, as a understand
              >> you should go on a pratice class/course to learn that(?)
              >> Peace
              >>
              >> T.Olsen

              The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
              so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
              - Bertrand Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author,
              Nobel laureate (1872-1970)
            • ajsgirl63
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 8, 2007
                --- In Buddhism_101@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@...> wrote:
                >Hello-
                I believe one can meditate successfully without a lama. I have read
                over and over that enlightenment is accessible to everyone. There
                are many meditation techniques. I have found H.H. the Dalai Lama's
                books extremely insightful. Many books written by qualified
                instructors are available, whereas finding a lama or qualified
                instructor may be quite difficult. I would not let the lack of an
                instructor be a hinderance. Going it alone is better than not going
                at all. Metta

> [...]
                > >> Hello!
                > >> Im new to this group and are lokking for safe "starters"
                meditation
                > >> technics, does anyone have some information about how to do a
                safe
                > >> meditation pratice whitout going on a meditation course? Im
                looking
                > >> for meditation for wellness, not so advanced pratice, as a
                understand
                > >> you should go on a pratice class/course to learn that(?)
                > >> Peace
                > >>
                > >> T.Olsen
                > >>

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > --
                > The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
                always
                > so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
                > - Bertrand Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author,

              • SJ Garette
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 28, 2008
                  Hello All,

                  Now do a brief meditation:  Imagine you are experiencing an intense emotion, such as anger or attachment, toward someone.  Then imagine how, caught up in the emotion you would respond in a scenario involving that person.  Analyze how you relate to the object of your anger or attachment and compare this with how you relate to people in your normal state of mind.  Look at the differences between these two scenarios and compare them.  This way, you will learn to recognize the psychological process involved in a forceful affliction, such as anger, and appreciate how grasping at reified qualities of the person lies at the rood of an afflictive emotion.

                  (The Dalai Lama in Practicing Wisdom)

                  Blessings,

                  Jade

                • rocammack@s6
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 24 3:17 PM
                    Dear Friends

                    Although I have been reading up on Buddhism for a couple of years now I still consider myself very much of a beginner.

                    I try to sit and meditate every day - usually very early in the morning as soon as I wake.

                    Lately I have been finding that thoughts have been coming into my head much more lately and I have to return to breath number one more and more often. I don't really understand how I can 'observe' a thought without thinking about it!

                    Another thing. I seem to loose any sense of time while I am sitting. I feel that I have been sitting for about fifteen minutes but find that it's nearly an hour since I started. I'm sure that I have not been asleep at all during that time. Is this normal??

                    Cariños

                    Robert
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 24 3:37 PM
                      Robert,

                      Everybody might be different in this regard, but I found for a while
                      that when I'd wake up, whatever dream I was having had dumped tons of
                      persistent thoughts on me which intruded into the shamatha meditation I
                      was attempting right after waking. I found that doing other morning
                      things for an hour or so would let all those dream thoughts pass, and
                      then I could meditate more successfully.

                      Don't know if your situation is the same. Whatever is the cause, keep
                      meditating. You'll get past the difficulties.

                      On 04/24/2010 06:17 PM rocammack@s6 wrote:

                      > Dear Friends
                      >
                      > Although I have been reading up on Buddhism for a couple of years now I
                      > still consider myself very much of a beginner.
                      >
                      > I try to sit and meditate every day - usually very early in the morning
                      > as soon as I wake.
                      >
                      > Lately I have been finding that thoughts have been coming into my head
                      > much more lately and I have to return to breath number one more and more
                      > often. I don't really understand how I can 'observe' a thought without
                      > thinking about it!
                      >
                      > Another thing. I seem to loose any sense of time while I am sitting. I
                      > feel that I have been sitting for about fifteen minutes but find that
                      > it's nearly an hour since I started. I'm sure that I have not been
                      > asleep at all during that time. Is this normal??
                      >
                      > Cariños
                      >
                      > Robert

                    • Dianna
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 24 5:05 PM
                        I lose track of time and I find that a good thing b/c my mind has been focused on the meditation, not one the clock or anything else around.

                        Dianna