Fw: Giving Even One's Last Meal *
- Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammâ Sambuddhassa!
Sakyamuni Sambuddha Vihara
~ Dhamma Message ~
Sunday 9th of September, 10.00AM : The Alms Giving Ceremony for the late Madihe Paññasiha Mahanayake Thera will be held at Sakyamuni Sambuddha Vihara, 125 Homestead Road, Berwick and will be attended by 10 Venerables. All are welcome. More info Ven. Wimalananda 03 9702 6275.
Taken from AccessToInsight.org1
GIVING EVEN ONE'S LAST MEAL
Sutta Pitaka - Various
Giving Even One's Last Meal
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared, if there were someone to receive their gift. But because beings do not know, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they eat without having given. The stain of miserliness overcomes their minds."
Giving at the Proper Time
Giving at the proper time
In the proper season they give --
those with discernment,
responsive, free from stinginess.
Having been given in proper season,
with hearts inspired by the Noble Ones
-- straightened, Such --
their offering bears an abundance.
Those who rejoice in that gift
or give assistance,
they, too, have a share of the merit,
and the offering isn't depleted by that.
So, with an unhesitant mind,
one should give where the gift bears great fruit.
Merit is what establishes
living beings in the next life.
Anguttara Nikaya V.36
1. More suttas from AcessToInsight.org can be found here http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
* See the previous instalment here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhamma/message/1264
Related Youth Articles
1. Offerings - On making offering to the Lord Buddha's supreme qualities, see here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=offerings
2. Daily Dâna - On giving and generosity, see here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=dailydana
3. Five Precepts - Developing virtue through the five precepts, see here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=pansil
4. Metta Meditation - Easy to follow instructions for doing the meditation on loving-kindness, see here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=mettamed
5. Mental Purity - Five ways prescribed by the Buddha for subduing mental defilements, see here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=vitakkasantana
6. Make Haste - About the dangers of Samsâra (endless round of birth and death) and a call to attain Nibbâna (release) at the earliest opportunity, see here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=urgency
7. Attachment - An analysis of how attachment leads to unsatisfactoriness, see here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=attachment
8. One Hour of Unsatisfactoriness - The unsatisfactoriness that can be felt within the space of an hour, see here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=onehour
9. Four Noble Truths - The essence of Buddhism, see here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=fourtruths
10. Noble Eightfold Path - The path for ending unsatisfactoriness, see here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=noblepath
See more youth articles here www.vihara.org.au/go?to=youtharticles
If you would like to help your friends to gain Dhamma knowledge by receiving emails like this one REPLY to this email including their email addresses. Alternatively ask them to send a blank email to email@example.com
Visit Sakyamuni Sambuddha Vihara on the Web: www.vihara.org.au
To join the Dhamma Group send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To leave the Dhamma Group send a blank email to email@example.com
Feel safe with award winning spam protection on Yahoo!7 Mail. Find out more.
____________________________________________________________________________________ Sick of deleting your inbox? Yahoo!7 Mail has free unlimited storage.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]