RE: Rigpa Glimpse of the Day

  • Namdrol Tsepal
    Message 1 of 921 , Aug 14, 2007
      If you are able to think about the meaning of cyclic existence in general
      and human life in particular, then it is possible to discipline the mind
      through religious practice which is the process of becoming peaceful and
      anxiety-free. Otherwise, if too much emphasis is put on the sufferings of
      the hells and the imminence of death, there is a chance of falling into
      paralysing fear. There is a story in Tibet about an abbot of a monastery who
      went to give a discourse. A fellow asked the abbot's servant where the abbot
      had gone, and the servant said, "He has gone to frighten old men and women."
      If you fulfil the value of a human lifetime through engaging in religious
      practice, then there is no point in worrying about death.

      --from "Tantra in Tibet" by H.H. the Dalai Lama, Tsong-ka-pa and Jeffrey
      Hopkins, published by Snow Lion Publications

      After all, it is no more surprising to be born twice than it is to be born
      once.

      VOLTAIRE

      �If we have lived before,� I�m often asked, �why don�t we remember it?� But
      why should the fact that we cannot remember our past lives mean that we have
      never lived before? After all, experiences�of our childhood, or of
      yesterday, or even of what we were thinking an hour ago�were vivid as they
      occurred, but the memory of them has almost totally eroded, as though they
      had never taken place. If we cannot remember what we were doing or thinking
      last Monday, how on earth do we imagine it would be easy, or normal, to
      remember what we were doing in a previous lifetime?

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      To end the bizarre tyranny of ego is why we take the spiritual path, but the
      resourcefulness of ego is almost infinite, and it can at every stage
      sabotage and pervert our desire to be free of it. The truth is simple, and
      the teachings are extremely clear; but I have seen again and again, with
      great sadness, that as soon as they begin to touch and move us, ego tries to
      complicate them, because it knows it is fundamentally threatened.

      However hard ego may try to sabotage the spiritual path, if you really
      continue on it, and work deeply with the practice of meditation, you will
      begin slowly to realize just how gulled you have been by ego�s promises:
      false hopes and false fears. Slowly you begin to understand that both hope
      and fear are enemies of your peace of mind; hopes deceive you, and leave you
      empty and disappointed, and fears paralyze you in the narrow cell of your
      false identity. You begin to see also just how all-encompassing the sway of
      ego has been over your mind, and in the space of freedom opened up by
      meditation, when you are momentarily released from grasping, you glimpse the
      exhilarating spaciousness of your true nature.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      The times when you are suffering can be those when you are open, and where
      you are extremely vulnerable can be where your greatest strength really
      lies.

      Say to yourself: �I am not going to run away from this suffering. I want to
      use it in the best and richest way I can, so that I can become more
      compassionate and more helpful to others.� Suffering, after all, can teach
      us about compassion. If you suffer, you will know how it is when others
      suffer. And if you are in a position to help others, it is through your
      suffering that you will find the understanding and compassion to do so.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      Sometimes when we see too much truth about ourselves suddenly mirrored in
      front of us by the teacher or the teachings, it is simply too difficult to
      face, too terrifying to recognize, too painful to accept as the reality
      about ourselves. We deny and reject it, in an absurd and desperate attempt
      to defend ourselves fromourselves,from the truth of who we really are. And
      when there are things too powerful or too difficult to accept about
      ourselves, we project them onto the world around us, usually onto those who
      help us and love us the most�our teacher, the teachings, our parent, or our
      closest friend.

      How can we possibly penetrate the tough shield of this defensive system? The
      very best solution is when we can recognize ourselves that we are living
      duped by our own delusions. I have seen how for many people a glimpse of the
      truth, the true View, can bring the whole fantastic construction of wrong
      views, fabricated by ignorance, tumbling instantly to the ground.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      In a sense everything is dreamlike and illusory, but even so, humorously you
      go on doing things. For example, if you are walking, without unnecessary
      solemnity or self-consciousness, lightheartedly walk toward the open space
      of truth. When you sit, be the stronghold of truth. As you eat, feed your
      negativities and illusions into the belly of emptiness, dissolving them into
      all-pervading space. And when you go to the toilet, consider all your
      obscurations and blockages are being cleansed and washed away.

      DUDJOM RINPOCHE

      It is essential to realize now, in life, when we still have a body, that its
      convincing appearance of solidity is a mere illusion. The most powerful way
      to realize this is to learn how, after meditation, to �become a child of
      illusion�: to refrain from solidifying, as we are always tempted to do, the
      perceptions of ourselves and our world; and to go on, like the �child of
      illusion,� seeing directly, as we do in meditation, that all phenomena are
      illusory and dreamlike. The realization that this deepens the body�s
      illusory nature is one of the most profound and inspiring we can have to
      help us to let go.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      Find just what you are after with the more precise, more powerful new MSN
      Search. http://search.msn.com.sg/ Try it now.
    • Analine Tsepal
      Message 921 of 921 , Aug 6, 2011

        SHANTIDEVA