Newbie

  • Robert Capp
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 2 5:33 AM
      Hi all. I'm new on this list. Have been studying Buddhism for many years,
      but have very little experience (but, some) with a sangha. Time and
      responsibilities have been the problems. I hope to correct that in the
      future as I expect to retire, soon, and will have more available time to
      practice my chosen beliefs. Right now, I'm just interested in being part of
      a group with similar interests.

      My name is Robert Capp, but I answer to Rob or Bob.

      Thanks for your time,
      Rob

    • Sonia
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9 6:50 PM
        Hi Everybody,

        My name is Sonia and I joined a little while back and have decided to jump in.

        One of the things I always wondered when I read the New Testament was what happened to Jesus during the missing years so I did some research and one of the theories was that He had gone to what is now Tibet. There He learnt many things from the Buddhist monks. A lot of what He preached to me sounds like Buddhist teachings eg. compassion, love your enemies, forgiveness etc.

        Peace,

        Sonia
      • Jody W. Ianuzzi
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 10 10:02 AM
          Hello Sonya,

          Since Buddha lived 500 years before Christ, I have often thought that
          perhaps Buddhist monks had traveled west and had influenced Christ's ideas.
          I think there was a lot more traveling in those days then we think.

          Just look at the other things that Christians share with Buddhists from
          prayer hands to rosary.

          JODY
        • Dougbert
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 10 1:41 PM
            Jody,

            I think Buddha was around 2500 years before Jesus? I have a book titled: "The lost years of Jesus." The author claims that Jesus went east to Tibet to build monestaries. In Tibet, they claim to have documentation of Jesus being there during the lost years of Jesus? Hard concept to swallow for Christians.

            Metta,
            Deep Bows,
            Doug

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 10 4:28 PM
              I'm pretty sure the Buddha lived 2500 years ago which was 500BC.

              JODY
            • Jody W. Ianuzzi
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 10 4:48 PM
                Hi all,

                I know things are as they are but sometimes it is hard to accept. A few
                weeks ago my 37 year old neighbor died of a heart attack. she must have had
                a congenital heart problem because she was always complaining of heartburn
                which looking back must have been angina. Her husband is a 48 year old
                widower with two little girls age 10 and 13. Those poor little girls are
                just devastated.

                I still expect to go outside and hear her yell "Hi neighbor!". She was such
                a sweet girl and I was very fond of her. She was the same age as my kids.
                She just got a sewing machine and I was going to teach her to sew. I figure
                when some time has passed I might ask the girls if I can teach them.

                I also feel frustrated because both my husband and I know DPR and when she
                collapsed all the husband could do was prey and wait for the ambulance. As
                the Dalai Lama says 'action is better then prayer' and oh how we could have
                acted. We were only 75 feet away and yet we had no idea what was happening.

                I just thought I would share the story because it is one of those tragedies
                in life that we feel so helpless about.

                JODY
              • Jody W. Ianuzzi
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 10 4:49 PM