RE: Rigpa Glimpse of the Day

  • Namdrol Tsepal
    Message 1 of 921 , Jun 26, 2007
      It is possible to understand the Buddhist teachings as a method of
      psychological healing, comparable to psychotherapy, that teaches us how we
      can master destructive forces like anger, envy, and greed. Human beings seem
      to be a bundle of different qualities and psychological processes. We should
      attentively examine our qualities and be alertly aware of our experiences in
      order to recognize what we truly feel and think. At the same time, the
      personality of human beings is not seen as a unified whole. According to
      these teachings, the heart of consciousness is composed of various elements,
      the five types of attachment, or skandhas: body, sensations, perceptions,
      instinctual forces, and consciousness.

      These inner forces impart the false concept of an ego-consciousness. The
      basic problem of emotional disorders therefore lies in a false concept of
      identity. This I-blindness should therefore be abolished through self-study

      ..... The goal is not self-realization but selflessness. --from "Path of
      Wisdom, Path of Peace" by His Holiness the Dalai Lama with Felizitas Von
      Schonborn, foreword by Wei Jingsheng

      It is extremely hard to rest undistracted in the nature of mind, even for a
      moment, let alone to self-liberate a single thought or emotion as it rises.
      We often assume that simply because we understand something intellectually,
      or think we do, we have actually realized it. This is a great delusion. It
      requires the maturity that only years of listening, contemplation,
      reflection, meditation, and sustained practice can ripen.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      There is no swifter, more moving, or more powerful practice for invoking the
      help of the enlightened beings, for arousing devotion and realizing the
      nature of mind, than the practice of Guru Yoga. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
      wrote: �The words Guru Yoga mean �union with the nature of the guru,�� and
      in this practice we are given methods by which we can blend our own minds
      with the enlightened mind of the master.

      The master�the guru�embodies the crystallization of the blessings of all
      buddhas, masters, and enlightened beings. So to invoke him or her is to
      invoke them all; and to merge your mind and heart with your master�s wisdom
      mind is to merge your mind with the truth and very embodiment of
      enlightenment.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      As Buddha himself was passing away, he prophesied that Padmasambhava would
      be born not long after his death in order to spread the teaching of the
      Tantras. It was Padmasambhava who established Buddhism in Tibet in the
      eighth century. For us Tibetans, Padmasambhava, Guru Rinpoche, embodies a
      cosmic, timeless principle; he is the universal master.

      I have always turned to Padmasambhava in times of difficulty and crisis, and
      his blessing and power have never failed me. When I think of him, all my
      masters are embodied in him. To me he is completely alive at all moments,
      and the whole universe, at each moment, shines with his beauty, strength,
      and presence.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      Taking impermanence truly to heart is to be slowly freed from the idea of
      grasping, from our flawed and destructive view of permanence, from the false
      passion for security on which we have built everything. Slowly it dawns on
      us that all the heartache we have been through from grasping at the
      ungraspable was, in the deepest sense, unnecessary.

      At the beginning this too may be painful to accept, because it seems so
      unfamiliar. But as we reflect, slowly our hearts and minds go through a
      gradual transformation. Letting go begins to feel more natural, and becomes
      easier and easier.

      It may take a long time for the extent of our foolishness to sink in, but
      the more we reflect, the more we develop the view of letting go. It is then
      that a complete shift takes place in our way of looking at everything.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      We cannot hope to die peacefully if our lives have been full of violence, or
      if our minds have mostly been agitated by emotions like anger, attachment,
      or fear. So if we wish to die well, we must learn how to live well: Hoping
      for a peaceful death, we must cultivate peace in our mind, and in our way of
      life.

      THE DALAI LAMA

      The most essential point of the meditation posture is to keep the back
      straight, like �an arrow� or �a pile of golden coins.� The �inner energy,�
      or prana , will then flow easily through the subtle channels of the body,
      and your mind will find its true state of rest. Don�t force anything. The
      lower part of the spine has a natural curve; it should be relaxed but
      upright. Your head should be balanced comfortably on your neck. It is your
      shoulders and the upper part of your torso that carry the strength and grace
      of the posture, and they should be held in strong poise, but without any
      tension.

      Sit with your legs crossed. You do not have to sit in the �full-lotus�
      posture, which is emphasized more in advanced yoga practice. The crossed
      legs express the unity of life and death, good and bad, skillful means and
      wisdom, masculine and feminine principles, samsara and nirvana, and the
      humor of nonduality. Rest your hands comfortably covering your knees. This
      is called the �mind in comfort and ease� posture. If you prefer to sit on a
      chair, keep your legs relaxed, and be sure always to keep your back
      straight.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      Find singles online in your area with MSN Dating and Match.com!
      http://cp.intl.match.com/eng/msn/msnsg/wbc/wbc.html
    • Analine Tsepal
      Message 921 of 921 , Aug 6 7:34 PM

        SHANTIDEVA