Re: Starting over

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2007
      Hi Nima,

      In one of the sites that I frequent I posed the following question to
      the members: "If you could only bring one text with you what book
      would it be." Here are their replies which may be of some help to you.

      Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation Khenpo Konchog Gyaltsen's
      translation

      The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa, author - Garma C.C.Chang
      (Shambhala ISBN 1-57062-476- 3)

      Shantideva's Bodhicaryavatara (and sneak along a commentary so you can
      make sense of it).

      "Rainbow Painting" by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

      Rain of Wisdom. My copy is Shambhala 1980, trans. Nalanda Translation
      Committee

      Great Path of Awakening" by Jamgon Kongtrul

      "Blazing Splendor". It's not a classic, but certainly an amazing and
      inspiring read.

      "Ocean of Definitive Meaning" by Karmapa IX Wangchuk Dorje

      'Words of My Perfect Teacher'

      Avatamsaka Sutra

      Prajnaparamita in 8000 verses

      Torch of Certainty by Jamgon Kongtrul transl. Judith Hanson

      "Luminous Mind" by Kalu Rinpoche

      Jewel Ornament Of Liberation

      Tulku Urgyen--"As It Is", vols 1& 2

      "Enlightened Courage" by Dilgo Khyentse

      Lady of the Lotus Born

      "NAKED AWARENESS: Practical Instructions on the Union of Mahamudra and
      Dzogchen" by Karma Chagme/Gyatrul Rinpoche see http://www.snowlion
      pub.com/search. php?in_item_ id=584

      Natural Liberation by Gyatrul Rinpoche see
      http://www.mirrorofwisdom.org/estore/display.php?RecordID=1130160307

      "Pointing Out the Great Way: The Stages of Meditation in the Mahamudra
      Tradition" by Daniel Brown PhD

      I am also very fortunate to have received some books, CDs, leaflets,
      etc. on Buddhism from http://www.justbegood.net which I can send to
      you free (unfortunately none are the titles mentioned above). I make
      these texts available to local university students and currently have
      a few remaining before T. Y. Lee at justbegood.net sends me additional
      quantities for the up-coming school year. These are totally free (I
      even pay postage) but you'd have to privately e-mail me an address.

      I could understand if you are reluctant in doing this especially with
      all of the horror stories regarding the Internet. But if you prefer
      not to send to your home address, they could be sent c/o your work
      address.

      May all be at peace.

      John
    • Ken/
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2007
        A great list, John. I wanted to emphasize Gampopa's
        "Jewel Ornament of Liberation", and "Words of My
        Perfect Teacher", as I have read and reread both, many
        times. I get more out of them each time that I read
        them. I would like to add Sogyal Rinpoche's "Tibetan
        Book of Living and Dying", and HH the Dalai Lama's,
        "The Four Noble Truths". I keep a pocket version, of
        this, with me all of the time.

        Also, Nima, I would like to say that nothing surpasses
        a real, in the flesh, teacher. If at all possible, you
        should find a Dharma center that you are comfortable
        with and attend as often as possible. With gas prices
        the way they are, sometimes distant ones become more
        distant, but even if you only attend once in a while,
        it is worth it.

        Best of luck in your quest,
        Ken/

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2007
          Ken,

          Thanks for the kind words but the thanks belongs to those who
          submitted their answers to my question. I was rather "distressed" by
          the few titles which are in my library but the purpose of my query was
          to increase my personal library with well thought out texts. I
          certainly agree with adding Sogyal Rinpoche's wonderful text. There
          are others that I would personally recommend but I didn't want to
          "overwhelm" anyone with a card catalog of titles (smile).

          I also agree with the value of attending a temple for face-to-face
          instruction although I personally am unable to do this. I think Nima
          should understand this when she receives the material I will be
          sending to her in the next day or so.

          May all be at peace.

          John
        • Ramesh Patil
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2007
            Hi Ken,
            K:-"A great list, John. I wanted to emphasize Gampopa's
            "Jewel Ornament of Liberation""

            R:-Actually I have "Liberation in the palm of ur hand..by ..Pabongka
            Rinpoche.."
            Wisdom publications...A very usefull book...

            K:-"Sogyal Rinpoche's "Tibetan Book of Living and Dying""

            R:- Ken u mentioned this book also..but where to get these books from..If i
            will get then I want to read those also..

            with metta
            ramesh

            On 6/13/07, Ken/ <klegshe@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > mentioned above). I make
            > > these texts available to local university students
            > > and currently have
            > > a few remaining before T. Y. Lee at justbegood.net
            > > sends me additional
            > > quantities for the up-coming school year. These are
            > > totally free (I
            > > even pay postage) but you'd have to privately e-mail
            > > me an address.
            > >
            > > I could understand if you are reluctant in doing
            > > this especially with
            > > all of the horror stories regarding the Internet.
            > > But if you prefer
            > > not to send to your home address, they could be sent
            > > c/o your work
            > > address.
            > >
            > > May all be at peace.
            > >
            > > John
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're

          • pompyn
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2007
              John,
              Thank you for sending me all the wonderful books. I received them on
              Thursday, but then had problems locating the email to respond. I will
              begin reading them as soon as possible. Thanks again.
            • Ramesh Patil
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007
                Hi John,
                Still I had not received books from you..
                I am waiting from long time...
                Regards
                Ramesh